+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsering advice please help as people keep telling me different things

zebrapjs

May 7, 2010
Hi

I am a british Citizen and want to move to Vancouver. I have lots of family in Toronto, aunts & uncles, & cousins. My first cousin who lives in toronto is willing to sponser me, but I have been told that because she lives in Toronto she can only sponser immediate family such as brothers & sisters. Please any advice would be appreciated.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your first cousin is right. She can only sponsor her brothers and sisters.

campesinaj

Star Member
Jan 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima, Peru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2010
AOR Received.
29-06-2010 In Process in Lima
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2011
LANDED..........
17-03-2011
it's not because she lives in Toronto - she can't sponsor cousins according to the rules. sorry.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Your first cousin is right. She can only sponsor her brothers and sisters.
She can't sponsor her brothers and sisters either. She could only sponsor her parents and their dependent children if they meet the criteria.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rjessome said:
She can't sponsor her brothers and sisters either. She could only sponsor her parents and their dependent children if they meet the criteria.
No, you are wrong. You can sponsor:

•parents
•grandparents
•brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
•another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
•accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, yes, if the brothers and sisters are orphaned and under 18 and not married or in a common law relationship. ONLY if these circumstances apply could she sponsor her brothers and sisters.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
There are also conditions about not having any other family in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It not enough not to have any other family in Canada. You also can't be married and you can have no other closer relatives overseas that you would be allowed to sponsor, regardless of if they'd want to be sponsored or not.

I asked about this at one time for my brother and I was told that because my parents are alive, even though they had no interest in being sponsored, I would not be able to sponsor my brother as "another relative".

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is your first cousin a PR or citizen of Canada? Perhaps there are other ways for you to immigrate.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are other ways to immigrate. Can some of the relatives help you get a job offer? If you can get a job offer, you could apply under skilled worker or a PNP or you could go for a work permit and work on your immigration later.

zebrapjs

May 7, 2010
steaky said:
Is your first cousin a PR or citizen of Canada? Perhaps there are other ways for you to immigrate.
This is my first cousin & she is a citizen of Canada. I also have my late grandfathers citizenship but I do not believe this would help me. I really want to speak to someone on the phone regarding some advice. I seem to be hearing alot of different information. Is there any chance i could speak with someone like your self or even leon the vip member??

zebrapjs

May 7, 2010
Leon said:
There are other ways to immigrate. Can some of the relatives help you get a job offer? If you can get a job offer, you could apply under skilled worker or a PNP or you could go for a work permit and work on your immigration later.

Hi leon,

My other cousin in toronto runs his own business in making trophys and medals he has had the business for many years now. Could my cousin give me a job offer to come & work for him & then I would be classed as a skilled worker???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible. You need to find out what you could be doing at his business. If there is a skilled job that he could offer you and you have some kind of experience doing this job you can talk to the Ontario PNP about what would be needed for a job offer for you to get nominated by them. You can find the Ontario PNP at http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPGENERAL.html

If you have enough points for the FSW program, he could also apply for an AEO for you, see http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/supperimm.shtml and you can use the AEO to apply under the FSW program.