+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Splitting family application between online and paper

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
We are a family of 3 (2 adults and 1 child) and applying for citizenship. My original plan was to apply for all 3 together via the paper forms since that's the only possible mode for family applications. I'm considering splitting, and applying for me, online to take advantage of the faster processing time, Will file the paper applications for my Wife and Child in parallel.
I'm in a hurry because, being transferred to Seattle temporarily and my PR card will expire during that time (early 2023) - and anxious to get a safety net as soon as possible.
Is it possible? if so, is it advisable?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
1) it is possible.
2) it doesn't at all mean that your application will be processed faster. It may, or may not be the case, and that's mainly linked to applications being separate, not to their type.

Regardless of what you do, your "safety net" should be to apply for a new PR card.

Gorbv.01

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
I do agree that it is better to apply for the new PR card when necessary not to be too dependent on the citizenship process that is quite unpredictable. The main rule is that there are no rules and it is impossible to predict how the things are going.
In my case i decided to apply online since I like all new techs, my son has applied online as well since it was possible that he could delay the whole family with his exam and my wife with kids applied on paper. it was in January 2021.
Initially it looked like paper was a safer bet, since my wife's application started to move in March and she got her BG check in June while I have received my AOR only in July.
However then things turned upside down and my wife does not have any news since her exam passed in July, while I have completed exam and got citizenship already.
And once again some people got their certificate in a week after ceremony, mine was almost a month ago and still nothing.
So the main idea for you is not to rely heavily on this citizenship application unless you have legitimate reasons for urgent processing.

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Thanks for the detailed responses.

Regarding PR card, my PR card is expiring Feb 2023, and I will likely move to Seattle in March 2022. That does not fall under the 9 month time-frame for applying to renew the PR. I also understand, I cannot apply for PR extension from outside Canada. Is the any way out of this? Since I will be in Seattle, it would be possible to drive to Vancouver at will.

Another fact that might be important is, I will be in the US for 3 years. Post the 3 years, theoretically I will still be eligible for applying for the new PR based on the 2 out of 5 year rule, but it is slicing things a bit too fine for my comfort.

Based on your experience, Gorbv.01, it might be better to spread the risk around and apply separately through online and paper. Either way, one of us will get it earlier. Is it not?

Gorbv.01

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
Thanks for the detailed responses.

Regarding PR card, my PR card is expiring Feb 2023, and I will likely move to Seattle in March 2022. That does not fall under the 9 month time-frame for applying to renew the PR. I also understand, I cannot apply for PR extension from outside Canada. Is the any way out of this? Since I will be in Seattle, it would be possible to drive to Vancouver at will.

Another fact that might be important is, I will be in the US for 3 years. Post the 3 years, theoretically I will still be eligible for applying for the new PR based on the 2 out of 5 year rule, but it is slicing things a bit too fine for my comfort.

Based on your experience, Gorbv.01, it might be better to spread the risk around and apply separately through online and paper. Either way, one of us will get it earlier. Is it not?
Yes, in my opinion it would be better to apply separately. That does not incur any negative consequences except for the possibility (almost 100%) that you'll be giving oath separately but taking into account online oaths I do not think that it is important. Applying separately you'll definitely receive faster processing for one or another and you won't be sitting and waiting for common application to proceed. However as I've posted earlier - it is definitely not guaranteed that your online application will be treated faster than your wife's application. Not sure if obtaining citizenship by your wife sooner than you would solve your question.

Reactions: BogusApplicant