+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Split full name into Surname and Family name

Sobiamirza

Star Member
Apr 19, 2019
Hi everyone
So my entire family have our full names under Given name(Surname is blank) so we were planning to split them into Surname and Given name .
Our citizenship application is in process and we are waiting for LPP to turn green since July.Looking at the current processing times,we are anticipating to receive the citizenship in 4 months .
Now the name change process takes about 3 months so is it possible for us to submit the documents for name change now so we save up the time later?
Will this impact our application for citizenship? We have travel plans next June and wanted to check if this option could work or if anyone has done this before
Thanks so much

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi everyone
So my entire family have our full names under Given name(Surname is blank) so we were planning to split them into Surname and Given name .
Our citizenship application is in process and we are waiting for LPP to turn green since July.Looking at the current processing times,we are anticipating to receive the citizenship in 4 months .
Now the name change process takes about 3 months so is it possible for us to submit the documents for name change now so we save up the time later?
Will this impact our application for citizenship? We have travel plans next June and wanted to check if this option could work or if anyone has done this before
Thanks so much
My suggestion would be that you should complete the citizenship process first and then once you receive your citizenship certificate after apply for name change and after that apply for Canadian passport

Reactions: Sobiamirza