Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-02-2016
Passport Req..
25-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2016
Hello, I am a permanent resident since November 2016 and I got it renewed in October 2021.
Earlier in 2016, the citizenship requirements were to stay in Canada for a period of 3 years out of last 5 years, with no more than 6 months/year outside Canada.

I would like to know if this 6 months clause is still there, as I can't find this info anywhere? Can I spend more than 6 continuous months this year outside Canada due to a personal reason, and then return to Canada to complete my citizenship requirements? Will my previous 1.75 years time I spent in Canada still count?

Thank you

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I don't think there's such requirement based on IRCC's website. I met the requirements before application date and now I've been outside for almost 1 year after submission.

Reactions: twztedelegance

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The only current requirements are the following :
Minimum 2 years out of 5 in Canada for PR residency purposes.
Minimum 3 years out of 5 in Canada the day before sending the citizenship application.

So, yeah, the time you accumulated in Canada will count, except if outside the 5 years window prior to your application.

MapleLeaf18

Star Member
Jan 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-02-2016
Passport Req..
25-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2016
Has anyone applied with a more than 6 months in a year stay outside Canada? Would like some clarity on this... Thank you

CDN1234

Jun 25, 2019
Has anyone applied with a more than 6 months in a year stay outside Canada? Would like some clarity on this... Thank you
As wksj has already mentioned, as long as you meet the requirements, like 1,095 days and continue to maintain your PR status.
So that means, assuming you apply today and leave Canada right now for more than 6 months, let's say 6 months, and you accumulated 5 full years in Canada in the preceding 5 years, your PR RO should be fine for the next 4.5 years.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello, I am a permanent resident since November 2016 and I got it renewed in October 2021.
Earlier in 2016, the citizenship requirements were to stay in Canada for a period of 3 years out of last 5 years, with no more than 6 months/year outside Canada.

I would like to know if this 6 months clause is still there, as I can't find this info anywhere? Can I spend more than 6 continuous months this year outside Canada due to a personal reason, and then return to Canada to complete my citizenship requirements? Will my previous 1.75 years time I spent in Canada still count?

Thank you
As others have said: Be sure to read and follow the guide and instructions that are part of the application package.
Start here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-adults.html

Not sure where you have been getting your information, but for example the requirements for a grant of citizenship in 2016 were NOT "stay in Canada for a period of 3 years out of last 5 years, with no more than 6 months/year outside Canada."

In 2016 the residency/presence requirement was actual physical presence in Canada 4 years out of last 6 years.

ONLY use IRCC sourced application forms, instructions, and guide. Use the IRCC online physical presence calculator.

Current requirement is three out of five years, only days in Canada within the last five years count. So whether time outside Canada prior to your return will get credit depends on when you return and when you reply . . . credit for days in Canada only within the five years preceding the day the application is made (date signed).

As @akbardxb noted, you may be required to provide a police clearance WITH the application for the country where you were staying for six months or more. In particular, that requirement is triggered by six months in a country during the FOUR years preceding the date of the application; that requirement is not tied to the eligibility period, so no idea what @MrChazz is saying, particularly since the scenario you query about is referring to the eligibility period and most likely also within the relevant four year period for triggering the PCC requirement.

Note that a PCC can be required later in the processing of the application, from any applicant who spent an extended period of time abroad during the four years preceding the application, even if their time abroad does not meet the threshold requiring it be included with the application.

BE SURE TO FOLLOW the INSTRUCTIONS and USE the APPLICATION that is CURRENT when you actually apply. These things change.

Reactions: MapleLeaf18

MapleLeaf18

Star Member
Jan 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-02-2016
Passport Req..
25-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2016
Thank you for your reply. Good to know it's a total of 3 out of 5 years irrespective of the duration of stay in a year.

Reactions: Dreamlad

MapleLeaf18

Star Member
Jan 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-02-2016
Passport Req..
25-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2016
As others have said: Be sure to read and follow the guide and instructions that are part of the application package.
Start here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-adults.html

Not sure where you have been getting your information, but for example the requirements for a grant of citizenship in 2016 were NOT "stay in Canada for a period of 3 years out of last 5 years, with no more than 6 months/year outside Canada."

In 2016 the residency/presence requirement was actual physical presence in Canada 4 years out of last 6 years.

ONLY use IRCC sourced application forms, instructions, and guide. Use the IRCC online physical presence calculator.

Current requirement is three out of five years, only days in Canada within the last five years count. So whether time outside Canada prior to your return will get credit depends on when you return and when you reply . . . credit for days in Canada only within the five years preceding the day the application is made (date signed).

As @akbardxb noted, you may be required to provide a police clearance WITH the application for the country where you were staying for six months or more. In particular, that requirement is triggered by six months in a country during the FOUR years preceding the date of the application; that requirement is not tied to the eligibility period, so no idea what @MrChazz is saying, particularly since the scenario you query about is referring to the eligibility period and most likely also within the relevant four year period for triggering the PCC requirement.

Note that a PCC can be required later in the processing of the application, from any applicant who spent an extended period of time abroad during the four years preceding the application, even if their time abroad does not meet the threshold requiring it be included with the application.

BE SURE TO FOLLOW the INSTRUCTIONS and USE the APPLICATION that is CURRENT when you actually apply. These things change.

Thank you for the clarification. I went through the link and this Cicnews also. I was confused because I got my PR in 2016 (currently it's renewed) before the changes.
https://www.cicnews.com/2017/10/new-regulations-now-in-effect-making-canadian-citizenship-easier-to-obtain-109665.html#gs.wvs542

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
so no idea what @MrChazz is saying, particularly since the scenario you query about is referring to the eligibility period and most likely also within the relevant four year period for triggering the PCC requirement.
I think he, just like you, was just giving another expert opinion, because in these matters what random strangers say on a website is more important than what IRCC actually says.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I think he, just like you, was just giving another expert opinion, because in these matters what random strangers say on a website is more important than what IRCC actually says.
I do not give "expert opinion," and I am NOT an expert, and I do not pretend to be one.

But more importantly it is absolutely NOT true that "what random strangers say on a website is more important than what IRCC actually says." On the contrary, no expertise at all necessary to recognize the importance of what I said about relying on IRCC's instructions, guides, and application forms; as I said:
By the way, I am not missing or ignoring the sarcasm in your post, but rather am calling it out. Real people with real questions, like the OP, come here hoping to get some information that will help them better navigate the process of applying for citizenship. There are many forum participants who make a genuine effort to share information and experience as accurately as they can to help those with questions. I have no idea whether @MrChazz was deliberately misleading, simply ignorant, or made a mistake (noting that after all I too have made my share of mistakes, and appreciate it when corrected), but whether or not the citizenship applicant will need to include a police clearance WITH the application is not connected to the "eligibility period," but rather presence in another country during the FOUR years preceding the date of the application. This is NOT an opinion. This is what IRCC actually says, as it is specifically stated in application question 10.b) and in the guide for completing the application found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4 in instructions for question 10.b) And, moreover, it is what corresponds to the actual requirements for citizenship, applicants needing to give IRCC enough information to prove they have no prohibitions, which means no criminal charges or convictions in another country during the FOUR years preceding the date of the application (and continuing to the taking of the oath).

Reactions: MapleLeaf18