+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Speculative/Hypothetical: Knowledge of French, if applying for Citizenship from Quebec.

Obviously people posting regarding this were not around or not aware of the English exodus in the 70’s. French will ALWAYS come first in Quebec no matter what people want or say.
That’s just the way it is . Do a bit of research before moving to the province
It’s amusing that individuals that who’ve chosen to go to a province think they are going to change things /culture that started back on the Plains of Abraham, over two hundred years ago .
Or they have no clue what the Plains of Abraham was
It’s cute
Which is okay. And that's why it makes sense they do it at the PR level. However for citizenship, it shouldn't be imposed since Quebec isn't a country, Canada is - and since there are two official languages, either proficiency should be good (as it is today). Like some of the speakers mentioned in the debate - making it easier and welcoming to learn a language through awareness works way better than trying to impose it.

Reactions: Das67

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
Btw @piotrqc, not sure what you mean by "La langue official can be either French or English ... But not both".
New Brunswick has both languages as official...
An officially bilingual state does not mean that bilingualism is an obligation for residents. It is not logical. It's as if you were telling me in a roundabout way that Canadians, for example natives of Alberta, who speak only English cannot settle in Quebec ...
Which is yet a part of Canada. (Spoiler: It's unconstitutional, and just scandalous).

New Brunswik you are quoting is a province, it is the only officially bilingual province, yes. Quebec's official language is French ... But no province is in charge of citizenship, it is a federal competence.

The reasoning of this bill adopted by the BQ is what it is: A draft regulation with a separationist spirit ...

In other words, unless Quebec becomes independent (This will never happen, for obvious demographic reasons), this French obligation for applicants for Canadian citizenship (I put it in bold and underlined: We speaks of Canada, and not of Quebec), will remain a pure fantasy and a dream for the separatists.

... For now, with the current blocking of citizenship tests, believe me you are not ready to have citizenship, either in English or in French ...

The urgency now is to resume testing. Let's focus on it.

, Piotr.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Obviously people posting regarding this were not around or not aware of the English exodus in the 70’s. French will ALWAYS come first in Quebec no matter what people want or say
Dont' know where you're getting this or what you're opposing exactly compared to what others have said. I think most posts have said clearly it's to the benefit of the OP to learn French.

Just that specifically in response to his (speculative) question, there is very little likelihood that French will be a rquirement for citizenship specifically and only in Quebec (as opposed to one of english or french as now).

Hence, actually learning French is a better use of time than worrying about this private member's bill.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8494193

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@piotrqc OK. I see your point now.
I'm still unsure whether this is actually unconstitutional. After all, that law wouldn't stop people from settling in Quebec. It merely requires them to show a specific language requirement to be able to apply for the citizenship after they already settled there.

I agree that it's a separatist's fantasy. But it doesn't oblige anyone to speak French, the same way the current law doesn't oblige any PR (or citizen) to speak any of the official languages. The languages are a federal competence and still remain a federal one if amended by a political party in Ottawa, even with separatism in mind.

Yeah, I'm against it for both practical reasons and ideological ones, but I'd actually be interested to see a lawyer's take on this. Not that it matters in a grand scheme of things, we're merely speaking here about a bill everyone will probably forget in a matter of days, and rightfully so.

Dont' know where you're getting this or what you're opposing exactly compared to what others have said. I think most posts have said clearly it's to the benefit of the OP to learn French.

Just that specifically in response to his (speculative) question, there is very little likelihood that French will be a rquirement for citizenship (or more accurately, one of english or french).

Hence, actually learning French is a better use of time than worrying about this private member's bill.
haha, totally agreed - learning the language is certainly better use of time. Thanks, all.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
haha, totally agreed - learning the language is certainly better use of time. Thanks, all.
Thanks. I note I just edited my post above as it didn't make sense on one narrow point - but I think you got my point, this is not going to happen, don't worry and instead just use the time to learn french. It's truly a useful thing in Quebec to be able to speak.

Reactions: 8494193