+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Specific working holiday / Rehabilitation query

Leodensian

Oct 20, 2016
Hi all,

Bit of background, I have spent countless hours and £ researching and paying for advice but I seem to be in exactly the same position I was 6 months ago... very unclear and extremely worried.

I'm a 29 year old Brit who has a Canadian GF. I have applied for a working holiday and ETA at the same time with a view to spending xmas in Canada this year and then moving over in May more permanently. Unfortunately I do not have a squeaky clean record and 9 years ago I as convicted of 'Battery' (assault) in the UK and fined £100.

I have been advised by two different companies (paid) differing opinions. 1. Is I will need to apply for rehabilitation, the other is I will not.

The problem is as this is the last year I can apply for working holiday due to my age I don't believe there is any time to apply for rehab now as I've read on the forum it takes a year.

Do you guys reckon I should continue my working holiday visa without rehab or do you think it's futile?

I'm awaiting a decision on my ETA now too - I wouldn't know how to even begin telling her family I'm not allowed back in Canada for xmas (I've been twice this year already!)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. This process has Never felt so lonely - having to relive the past and face up to it hasn't been a pleasant experience.

Leo

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're right. If you have to go through the rehab process, then you don't have time to complete a rehab application in time to get an ETA for a Christmas visit. At this point you might as well continue with the ETA process and see if CIC flags you as requiring rehab.

For the Working Holiday Visa program, hopefully you are aware that there are always far more applicants than spaces for the UK program - so there's no guarantee if you will be selected. If you are, then once again, if a rehab application is needed this will be flagged as part of the processing of your visa. And yes - rehab applications can take quite a long time to complete.

Based on the basic information you have provided, it does sound like you are inadmissible to Canada at this time. But hard to say without understanding the full details of the charge and conviction. And only through applying will you see how CIC will deal with your charge.

Leodensian

Oct 20, 2016
Thank you for replying

The U.K. Police have advised my offence will be 'stepped down' in 2019 and therefore won't show on my record. I can wait until then I guess
I just hope the ETA process will allow some discretion

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leodensian said:
Thank you for replying

The U.K. Police have advised my offence will be 'stepped down' in 2019 and therefore won't show on my record. I can wait until then I guess
Irrespective of what UK police does you still need to disclose the nature of actual offense committed to Canada immigration authorities. As suggested by earlier response the officer takes the call while processing your application or at POE.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Leodensian said:
It doesn't matter if the UK police will "step down" your offence. IRCC will not consider that. Even if it doesn't show on your record at that point, you still need to declare it in full on your app.