Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
March 4 & April 9, 2014
File Transfer...
September 12, 2013
Med's Done....
June 4, 2013 extended until May1, 2015!!!
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 6,2014!!
LANDED..........
April 2,2015
Hi everyone, the month I landed, I needed emergency surgery in my home state of NY. I had NY insurance but it didn't cover the full cost.... and in order to get any form of assistance from them I am required to apply for Medicaid even if I am approved or denied. However since I have landed and spent several months here I now have OHIP. Since I am required by the hospital to apply for medicaid... how will this reflect my stay in Canada? I know I can not get any assistance from the Canadaian government or else we pay it back, but what about from my home country? I don't want to get medicaid... they hospital needs that in my file in order to process my request for assistance/lowered bill. So will I get in trouble in either NY or Canada? I know this is confusing so if I need to clarify anything please let me know and I will. They want me to apply today, so I am hoping to get some answers before I do so and possibly mess up everything up that we've worked so hard to accomplish.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Just apply for Medicaid. If all your hospital requires is that you apply to assist you then you'll be set. Medicaid WILL deny you because you don't meet residency in the state, let alone country to be approved. It should not affect anything you are doing here in Canada.

It will have no affect on your OHIP at all as they won't even consider covering something in the US without prior approval and since you were not a legal resident in Canada at that time it would be a moot point.

Medicaid will require certain information and documentation from you, but as stated previously, they will deny you because you don't qualify any longer, BUT you've now fulfilled the hospitals requirements of filing for medicaid ;)

Good luck.