+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Specialized course or a Generalized course?

noeldhiraj

Jan 18, 2016
Hello Friends,

I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Applications (BCA) which i cleared in 2014 along with 6.5 years of work experience and my current role is as a Strategic Account Manager for the last 3+ years.

I am planning to do a 2 year post graduate diploma certificate program in Canada for the obvious reason of getting a 3 year pgwp. Now since not many colleges offer a 2 year post grad program, I have shortlisted 3 programs in 3 different colleges:

1. Advanced Project Management & Strategic Leadership in Lambton College, Toronto Campus / Tuition Fees for 2 yrs: 21000cad / Website: lambton.on.ca/custom/LambtonApps/Programs/International.aspx?id=2147508001
2. Global Business Management in Humber College, Toronto Lakeshore Campus/Tuition Fees for 2 yrs: 28450cad / Website: humber.ca/program/global-business-management
3. Global Business Management in North Island College, Vancouver Island Comox Valley Campus / Tuition Fees for 2 yrs: 26760cad / Website: nic.bc.ca/program/business_administration_post_degree_diploma_global_business_management

Obviously the program at Lambton is the cheapest but there is not much discussion about this program on this forum and even the internet for that matter. the only place I could find information about this program is on their website. However there's a lot of talk about the global business management program at humber. Not much chatter about the NIC either. Anyway, I have been told by my consultant (Edwise) to select a specialized course and in this case advanced project management and strategic leadership at lambton because that will allow me to apply for a PR as soon as I get a job in line with project management. However, my friend who lives in canada says that if I select that course it will narrow down my chances of getting a job since the job search will be only limited to the field of project management. So he advised me to select global business management instead, as that will broaden my job search criteria and also the possibility of getting a job would be higher. To counter this the consultant told me that if I were to select a generalized course like global business management then it will become difficult to get a job because I will not have any specialty as such.

1. Would it really affect my changes of getting a job if I were to select global business management?
2. Also since global business management is a generalized course (even if i get a job in any business related role later), will it hamper my chances of applying for a PR?
3. Lastly, what are your views about this program (Advanced Project Management & Strategic Leadership) at Lambton college?