+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Special marriage

Ashish@985

Aug 2, 2019
H
Hope you all doing good!

I have few questions if anyone can put some light on please.
we are getting married on 5th of august (only after 30days of application in court) by Hindu ritual whereas we got the court date for special marriage as we both have different religion on 18th of august.
So while applying for sponsorship for my wife how do I explain this??
if anyone was inthe same boat, kindly help.
Grateful

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
H
Hope you all doing good!

I have few questions if anyone can put some light on please.
we are getting married on 5th of august (only after 30days of application in court) by Hindu ritual whereas we got the court date for special marriage as we both have different religion on 18th of august.
So while applying for sponsorship for my wife how do I explain this??
if anyone was inthe same boat, kindly help.
Grateful
Just explain the same to them that you got married as per Hindu traditions on 5th August and in court on 18th August while applying for your spousal sponsorship. Be sure to take photos for each ceremony and in court as well.

Reactions: Ashish@985

Shelly23

Jul 28, 2022
Hi Everyone! I have a question regarding the Special Marriage Act in India. I'm a Canadian born Citizen and my fiance is an Indian Citizen living in India. I read for the Special Marriage Act we must give the court marriage office 30 days notice and reside in India for those 30 days. Do both of us need to be present in India for the 30 days notice? Or can he apply for the 30 days notice on his own without me being present in India?

Thank you

Ashish@985

Aug 2, 2019
Hi Everyone! I have a question regarding the Special Marriage Act in India. I'm a Canadian born Citizen and my fiance is an Indian Citizen living in India. I read for the Special Marriage Act we must give the court marriage office 30 days notice and reside in India for those 30 days. Do both of us need to be present in India for the 30 days notice? Or can he apply for the 30 days notice on his own without me being present in India?

Thank you
Hi there,
you both don’t have to be present in India for that notice period of 30 days.
I was in canada and she was in india and did apply for the date of marriage. We both got married few weeks back under the special marriage act. all the best!

Shelly23

Jul 28, 2022
Hi there,
you both don’t have to be present in India for that notice period of 30 days.
I was in canada and she was in india and did apply for the date of marriage. We both got married few weeks back under the special marriage act. all the best!
Thanks for the information, were you able to select your own court marriage date or had to use the one they scheduled?

Ashish@985

Aug 2, 2019
Thanks for the information, were you able to select your own court marriage date or had to use the one they scheduled?
You have to request what date you want but all depends if it’s available for you otherwise have to go with the date provided. Court should be the state in which your fiancée resides according to the documents.

Shelly23

Jul 28, 2022
You have to request what date you want but all depends if it’s available for you otherwise have to go with the date provided. Court should be the state in which your fiancée resides according to the documents.
Also did you need to take any documents for yourself from Canada such as the " Single Status Affidavit" and "Statement in lieu of non impediment to marriage abroad" for marriage registration?

Shelly23

Jul 28, 2022
No document as such!
Okay, so I'm a Canadian born Citizen and live in British Columbia and am planning to do a temple wedding in Chandigarh India. They won't ask me for any Single Status or non impediment to marriage abroad documents? Would I apply for these documents after arriving in India from the High Commission or Embassy?