+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Special Authorization - Travelling after the oath

kikikokiki

Jan 20, 2021
Hi everyone, I have a trip coming up a week right after my potential oath date. I hold a passport from a visa-free country (dual citizenship) and I'm wondering if it's okay to apply for the special authorization as stated on the govt. website.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

Has anyone had experience coming back to Canada without a Canadian passport and applying for this special authorization? I need some advice as I am still debating whether I should reschedule my oath or not.

Thanks in advance!!

jescaba86

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone, I have a trip coming up a week right after my potential oath date. I hold a passport from a visa-free country (dual citizenship) and I'm wondering if it's okay to apply for the special authorization as stated on the govt. website.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

Has anyone had experience coming back to Canada without a Canadian passport and applying for this special authorization? I need some advice as I am still debating whether I should reschedule my oath or not.

Thanks in advance!!
Hello there!
I have not experienced this. I'm actually on the same boat as you. I have travel plans days after my upcoming oath and considering to apply for the special authorization once I'm abroad. Have you done it yet? If yes, how was your return?

kikikokiki

Jan 20, 2021
Hello there!
I have not experienced this. I'm actually on the same boat as you. I have travel plans days after my upcoming oath and considering to apply for the special authorization once I'm abroad. Have you done it yet? If yes, how was your return?
Hi there! I actually ended up getting my e-certificate and passport done just in time before my trip. I think it should be okay for you to apply for the special authorization overseas as long as you've received the e-certificate. The only thing I was worried about before was that the border system might be delayed in updating our citizenship status.

When is your oath & trip? Maybe you can apply for an urgent passport.

jescaba86

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh that's nice.
My oath is tomorrow. My trip is on the 27th and coming back in the first week of January. I also asked to receive an e-certificate rather than a physical copy–apparently it takes 2-5 business days to get. I don't think a trip to celebrate the holidays could be used/applied for an urgent passport application lol. Also, if I do get the certificate on the 5th business day, that'll be the day of departure.

kikikokiki

Jan 20, 2021
Congrats on your oath! The timing would be a bit tight for you. From my experience, I got my e-certificate on the 3rd day after the oath (4th is the oath; got it on the 6th morning). Then I applied for the passport with express pick-up. The staff didn't check the flight ticket and asked to pick it up after 3 days. I only stated my travel date on the application. I think you can still opt for urgent pickup (next business day) for $110 extra.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Remember during holiday time things will typically take longer and there are stat holidays that also fall on weekdays where some may be working but many government offices will be closed or have limited staffing to address emergencies.