+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spanish working in Canada: spousal sponsorship?

DavidQ

Feb 26, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm Spanish (35, no kids, never married), I just started working in Canada (I got a work permit for 2 years at the University of Toronto), and my girlfriend is Russian (30, no kids, never married). We've been dating for more than one year now, I went to Russia, she came to Spain twice, and we took trips together (she has US and Schengen visas). In total last year we spent maybe 8 or 9 weeks together.

Now comes the time for more serious things, and of course we'd like to get married and start living together. So we have a series of questions:
1. We are thinking to get married in Canada in summer 2018 while she would come with a tourist visa (hoping that she obtains it...), would there be a way that she stays with me after the wedding, knowing that I'm not a permanent resident so I can't sponsor her? Or would she need to go back to Russia and apply from there? Any recommendation to do this efficiently?
2. I'm hoping to get the permanent residence after my 2 years here to keep working on the project, would this situation cause some problems to get permanent residence? If she gets a temporary visa like mine, would she be able to get permanent residence after I get mine?

Thank you for helping.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm Spanish (35, no kids, never married), I just started working in Canada (I got a work permit for 2 years at the University of Toronto), and my girlfriend is Russian (30, no kids, never married). We've been dating for more than one year now, I went to Russia, she came to Spain twice, and we took trips together (she has US and Schengen visas). In total last year we spent maybe 8 or 9 weeks together.

Now comes the time for more serious things, and of course we'd like to get married and start living together. So we have a series of questions:
1. We are thinking to get married in Canada in summer 2018 while she would come with a tourist visa (hoping that she obtains it...), would there be a way that she stays with me after the wedding, knowing that I'm not a permanent resident so I can't sponsor her? Or would she need to go back to Russia and apply from there? Any recommendation to do this efficiently?
2. I'm hoping to get the permanent residence after my 2 years here to keep working on the project, would this situation cause some problems to get permanent residence? If she gets a temporary visa like mine, would she be able to get permanent residence after I get mine?

Thank you for helping.
I will leave the first question to others to answer. Regarding your second question, no, your marriage won't have any affects on your own PR process, if you are fully qualified for that specific PR stream. And when the time you submit your PR application and include your wife as an accompany dependent, if CIC approves your PR and consents your relationship is genuine, then your wife will have her PR with you at the same time.

Reactions: DavidQ