+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SP Refused for family ties in third country of residence

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So I never ever went to the Chinese College Entrance Exam after high school grad. I went to HK for SAT exam and got a full-tuition scholarship and went to US. Because of this, I can't do such studies in China. Also my age is not allowed to go to universities for undergrad studies in China. Here in EU, most undergraduate programs in science, taking Danish universities as an example, conduct teachings in local languages - Danish. So it's not that convenient to do. I thought about going to US as I do have previous study visas in US (but I DIY-ed and forgot to upload my old passport in my first SP application...), but Canada provides a much safer and friendlier environment to study to be honest. Plus the cost to study in Canada is significantly lower compared with the states.
U of M is a good school, not a top school with easier admissions. It is not even a top school for Computer Science and not known for it. Waterloo, U of T, McGill, UBC are top schools for Computer Science so if you can get admissions there then you have a better chance. Your answers for studying in Canada are generic and what everyone says - lower costs, safe, friendly. You need more of an explanation of why you need to attend U of M for CS.

kpomeranz

Nov 3, 2021
U of M is a good school, not a top school with easier admissions. It is not even a top school for Computer Science and not known for it. Waterloo, U of T, McGill, UBC are top schools for Computer Science so if you can get admissions there then you have a better chance. Your answers for studying in Canada are generic and what everyone says - lower costs, safe, friendly. You need more of an explanation of why you need to attend U of M for CS.
Hi Naturgrl, thanks for your advice, I will put more thoughts into this part and explain the reason to the VO.

kpomeranz

Nov 3, 2021
I would try to keep your SOP to 2 pages and key points.

University of Manitoba is OK but not great. Top 10 would be better. But ultimately your call.
It seems that the school offer also impacts the chance of getting SP? The better the school is, the higher the chance to get a SP? Is my understanding correct? Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It seems that the school offer also impacts the chance of getting SP? The better the school is, the higher the chance to get a SP? Is my understanding correct? Thanks!
Yes. Spending a lot of money on a foreign education makes a lot more sense if you are picking a top school.