+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SP issued for JAN 2021, But course deffered to MAY 2021

rush13

Jan 15, 2021
Hi guys,
So i had applied for my study permit based on university starting in January 2021, but because of all the uncertainties regarding the visa in India I had deferred to the next available intake i.e May 2021 while my application was still under process i.e after receiving PPR. Currently, my passport has gone for stamping and I'm waiting for it to come back

My query is, as my visa application is issued based on JAN 2021 but I will be going in MAY 2021, will this be an issue for the issuing of SP at POE?
Should I update it through a web form now? OR get an SP extension once I am already studying ??

Any advice would be much appreciated.
THANK YOU.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
It's slightly troublesome if you deferred after getting the passport request. Not a big deal though.

Only has scope if you defer before the final approval.

janfly

Nov 30, 2020
Hi guys,
So i had applied for my study permit based on university starting in January 2021, but because of all the uncertainties regarding the visa in India I had deferred to the next available intake i.e May 2021 while my application was still under process i.e after receiving PPR. Currently, my passport has gone for stamping and I'm waiting for it to come back

My query is, as my visa application is issued based on JAN 2021 but I will be going in MAY 2021, will this be an issue for the issuing of SP at POE?
Should I update it through a web form now? OR get an SP extension once I am already studying ??

THANK YOU.
At current trend, It wont be a problem. Duration of the SP will be a question. incase immigration officer at the border convinced, he can an extend validity of the SP already approved based on duration of extended course completion. Conclusion, definitely 50% of the applicants would face the same situation even they communicate to IRCC through webform about deferment and IRCC mostly ignores after PPR.

rush13

Jan 15, 2021
It's slightly troublesome if you deferred after getting the passport request. Not a big deal though.

Only has scope if you defer before the final approval.
Sorry, I deferred before i received the PPR.
i didn't get what you mean by "only has scope" ?

Thanks for your response tho, i am not as worried as i was before.

rush13

Jan 15, 2021
At current trend, It wont be a problem. Duration of the SP will be a question. incase immigration officer at the border convinced, he can an extend validity of the SP already approved based on duration of extended course completion. Conclusion, definitely 50% of the applicants would face the same situation even they communicate to IRCC through webform about deferment and IRCC mostly ignores after PPR.
from what i gather from you.....the immigration officer at POE can extend the validity based on my new deferred LOA ( May ) and not based on the visa application (Jan) ?
i know the IRCC ignores a lot of these extra documents on webform....but im hesitant to upload it....becasuse it could lengthen my visa process, and i have waited a LONG time already.

janfly

Nov 30, 2020
from what i gather from you.....the immigration officer at POE can extend the validity based on my new deferred LOA ( May ) and not based on the visa application (Jan) ?
i know the IRCC ignores a lot of these extra documents on webform....but im hesitant to upload it....becasuse it could lengthen my visa process, and i have waited a LONG time already.
Yes, you are right. Visa application/visa is a travel document but permit validity is important for your pgwp based on course completion. SP should valid atleast 3 months ahead of your course completion to apply for pgwp. Immigration officer at POE will consider while issuing the SP. It's not a big deal. You will through as it's not a big deal and you would be already in Canada with valid documents just a document check at the border .. I understand the processing time for each document submission now. Hell lot of time. Nothing to worry here according to me as I hear from people on the same and been into Canada now safely.

ikinofo

Dec 21, 2020
Toronto
How about a deferral from January 2021 to September after I receive PPR? Would that be an issue? There's a hiccup with my school registration which means I haven't registered for the semester yet. Last day of deferral is January 25. I received PPR on the same day classes started -- January 18th.

janfly

Nov 30, 2020
How about a deferral from January 2021 to September after I receive PPR? Would that be an issue? There's a hiccup with my school registration which means I haven't registered for the semester yet. Last day of deferral is January 25. I received PPR on the same day classes started -- January 18th.
I understand. IRCC clearly states that Changes in Deferment may not to communicate to them as these are related to DLI and the applicant however if the deferment is more than 150 days, you must use the webform and notify IRCC. Parallelly, you get the process done on stamping. Did you defer before? If yes, i guess the approved SP validity extension will be a challenging part to convince the IO at POE for one year deferment.

ikinofo

Dec 21, 2020
Toronto
I understand. IRCC clearly states that Changes in Deferment may not to communicate to them as these are related to DLI and the applicant however if the deferment is more than 150 days, you must use the webform and notify IRCC. Parallelly, you get the process done on stamping. Did you defer before? If yes, i guess the approved SP validity extension will be a challenging part to convince the IO at POE for one year deferment.
Thanks for the response. Passport is on its way to VFS. And no, I initially applied for Winter 2021. Will about to defer to September 2021 if school won't respond regarding my registration. I guess it's too late as well.

janfly

Nov 30, 2020
Thanks for the response. Passport is on its way to VFS. And no, I initially applied for Winter 2021. Will about to defer to September 2021 if school won't respond regarding my registration. I guess it's too late as well.
What do you mean by 'havent registered'? Meant not scheduled classes for online? If that's the only issue, you can do it immediately but schedule will be anytime. Instead defer the semester, if you requested already, call them and void it. It solves all the puzzles ..

ikinofo

Dec 21, 2020
Toronto
Yes. Admissions officer handling my case is out of the office until January 25th which is the deadline to defer. If I register, I have yet to take another English placement test before I can begin classes.

janfly

Nov 30, 2020
Yes. Admissions officer handling my case is out of the office until January 25th which is the deadline to defer. If I register, I have yet to take another English placement test before I can begin classes.
Try to start the classes now. It helps avoiding carrying tension till the border. BTW which country are you from? mostly Asians are not getting PPR these days and wondering you have your PPR on Jan'18th .

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Hi guys,

THANK YOU.

Hello,

You have not been issued a study permit yet. It will be issued when you arrive at the POE. The visa appended to your passport only enable you board a plane and facilitate entry into Canada.

So you have nothing to be worried about. At the POE, your study permit would either be issued based on the validity of your passport or length of your stuff.

Regards.

rush13

Jan 15, 2021
Hello,

You have not been issued a study permit yet. It will be issued when you arrive at the POE. The visa appended to your passport only enable you board a plane and facilitate entry into Canada.

So you have nothing to be worried about. At the POE, your study permit would either be issued based on the validity of your passport or length of your stuff.

Regards.
Thank you so much buddy.... this clears all my doubts....cheers!