+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP2022

Astrosan91

Mar 27, 2022
Processing is long (about 54 weeks) and there is no way to expedite the process. If you get a response by the summer then you are fortunate.
Thank you so much for your response, just wondering if this 54 weeks is specific to SOWP or for all types of work permits when filed in India? I am even contemplating converting this SOWP application into a TRV for spouse hoping it would be processed quicker. Could you please provide some advice on this?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much for your response, just wondering if this 54 weeks is specific to SOWP or for all types of work permits when filed in India? I am even contemplating converting this SOWP application into a TRV for spouse hoping it would be processed quicker. Could you please provide some advice on this?
All work permits - open and closed. You can’t convert an application. Your spouse can apply for a TRV. To be successful, your spouse must show funds for travel, travel history, strong ties to home country (job, property, investments, employment letter), reasons to travel etc. Being married will weaken his ties.

Astrosan91

Mar 27, 2022
All work permits - open and closed. You can’t convert an application. Your spouse can apply for a TRV. To be successful, your spouse must show funds for travel, travel history, strong ties to home country (job, property, investments, employment letter), reasons to travel etc. Being married will weaken his ties.
Thanks again. This thread is a real godsend. Would applying separately for a new TRV affect the current SOWP application? Since my work assignment will be for about a year, we are looking for options to somehow get a chance stay together.

Harish24

Apr 10, 2022
Hi Everyone, I applied sowp for my wife.

Upfront medicals Jan 11, 2022
File submitted on Feb 10, 2022
Biometrics Collection Letter: Feb 11, 2022
Biometrics Updated: Feb 14, 2022
Medicals passed: Feb 15, 2022

Background check is in process
Review didn't get started.
Any ideas when review can get started ?
I am on my work permit, working full time as a network engineer.

Henrii

Oct 15, 2021
Hi guys,
Let's start 2022 SOWP request here and share details with each other to understand the trend of visa processing. I applied my wife's SOWP. .
Applied - 23 Jan 2022
Biometrics -28 Jan 2022
Medicals - 29 Jan 2022 passed

Have you gotten ppr request. Please let us know thanks

Karelijä

Mar 1, 2022
Hello everyone, I’m a bit new to this. I was wondering if there is an hour limit on the spousal open work permits that are issued ? do we need to work for example 30 hours a week to respect the conditions of this visa ? Is there a minimum or maximum of hours that we are allowed ?

Henrii

Oct 15, 2021
Hello everyone, I’m a bit new to this. I was wondering if there is an hour limit on the spousal open work permits that are issued ? do we need to work for example 30 hours a week to respect the conditions of this visa ? Is there a minimum or maximum of hours that we are allowed ?
No limit unless stated on the permit

Reactions: Karelijä

Henrii

Oct 15, 2021
Please if you have received sowp do update the group. Share your timeline to encourage others.. it means alot to people waiting on approval thank you.

mayh

Apr 27, 2022
Hi Everyone, I applied sowp for my wife.

Upfront medicals Jan 11, 2022
File submitted on Feb 10, 2022
Biometrics Collection Letter: Feb 11, 2022
Biometrics Updated: Feb 14, 2022
Medicals passed: Feb 15, 2022

Background check is in process
Review didn't get started.
Any ideas when review can get started ?
I am on my work permit, working full time as a network engineer.
Hi Harish,
I'm, too, waiting on my sowp. May I ask where are you applying from? And what does it show in your Review of Eligibility?

File submitted: March 7, 2022
Biometrics Collection Letter: March 7, 2022
Biometrics Updated: March 28, 2022
Nothing has been seen since then :(

Karelijä

Mar 1, 2022
Hi Harish,
I'm, too, waiting on my sowp. May I ask where are you applying from? And what does it show in your Review of Eligibility?

Hi ! I applied for an open work permit as well.
Hi Harish,

Hello! I have applied for a spousal open work permit as well from inside canada. Can I know how you linked your application? Did you link it on GCKEY ? For me it shows as “online application” on gckey next to the PR application and the file number starts with “W”. Is this your case too ?
I applied in February but they haven’t started reviewing my Eligibility.

mayh

Apr 27, 2022
Hi ! I applied for an open work permit as well.

Hello! I have applied for a spousal open work permit as well from inside canada. Can I know how you linked your application? Did you link it on GCKEY ? For me it shows as “online application” on gckey next to the PR application and the file number starts with “W”. Is this your case too ?
I applied in February but they haven’t started reviewing my Eligibility.
Hi,
For me it also starts with a W, but I applied from the US, citizen of Vietnam. I applied online so it's just there on GCKey. On my application it shows the Review of Eligibility like this in the linked photo (https://ibb.co/sWSXtHX). Is it the same for you? Also my background is shows processing as well.

It shows:
Review of eligibility
We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.

And I know that recently, they changed the estimated processing time for OPW from the US from 4-8 weeks to 8 weeks. So I'm just getting myself ready to wait more...

Last edited:

Karelijä

Mar 1, 2022
Hi,
For me it also starts with a W, but I applied from the US, citizen of Vietnam. I applied online so it's just there on GCKey. On my application it shows the Review of Eligibility like this in the linked photo (https://ibb.co/sWSXtHX). Is it the same for you? Also my background is shows processing as well.

It shows:
Review of eligibility
We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.

And I know that recently, they changed the estimated processing time for OPW from the US from 4-8 weeks to 8 weeks. So I'm just getting myself ready to wait more...
Thank you for replaying!
For me it starts with W on GCKEY and I applied on paper and later linked the application in early April . For eligibility, mine hasn’t started yet and for background check it says “ not applicable”. Estimated processing time for me Is 178 days according to their website. Can I know your timeline for the spousal Sponsorship so far ?

mayh

Apr 27, 2022
Thank you for replaying!
For me it starts with W on GCKEY and I applied on paper and later linked the application in early April . For eligibility, mine hasn’t started yet and for background check it says “ not applicable”. Estimated processing time for me Is 178 days according to their website. Can I know your timeline for the spousal Sponsorship so far ?
No thank you! Sharing on this helps to calm me down a bit while waiting :(
So my spouse is actually an international student in Toronto. We are not applying for Spousal Sponsorship. Spousal Open Work Permit is the only thing I'm apply for. This is my first time applying for Canada Visa, so I'm very new to everything.

Sheik2502

Jan 14, 2022
Hi,

I am Currently on pgwp and i recently got married. I have a Noc A job (software dev) and i applied sowp for my wife(outland)

She is a make up artist but has no proof to show that since she kinda works for herself.

Do i need to write a letter to show intent to return back to homw country after her permit expires?

And if i do, what do I need to put in the letter? She does not have proof of employment and no land on her name.

She has no family apart from me in Canada.

Her review started a week ago