+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP without exemptions letter

SeaPanda

Sep 14, 2020
Hello,

My spouse have been approved for Open Work Permit... I‘m the main applicant (Study Permit). Can she travel to Canada with me without exemption letter? Does she need a job offer to request an exemption letter from IRCC?

Reactions: Sad93

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
This link is for international students, as my spouse will be under a spouse open work permit, will this link still be applicable.
Depends on the airport you do your first check-in at. Whether to register you for the flight or not is at their discretion

SeaPanda

Sep 14, 2020
But you said you are a student. Is she not travelling with you?
I’m a student and my spouse is travelling with me, however I read from the IRCC website even spouse have to request exemptions letter from them... also, both of us have valid eTA already. I don’t know whether my spouse qualified to travel with me on non-discretionary purposes...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I’m a student and my spouse is travelling with me, however I read from the IRCC website even spouse have to request exemptions letter from them... also, both of us have valid eTA already. I don’t know whether my spouse qualified to travel with me on non-discretionary purposes...
Did you read the link above I provided? It clearly states if spouse is travelling with student, they don’t need authorization.

SeaPanda

Sep 14, 2020
If immediate family members want to be with you in Canada
Your immediate family members may be able to come with you to Canada.

If they travel with you
They don’t need a written authorization from IRCC to travel with you. However, they must show that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional). For example, they’ll help you get established and support you in Canada.

I saw this, however I also saw this link which show I need exemptions letter. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/foreign-workers.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hi there, do you know if a pr can apply for his spouse open work permit? does cic have that process? or is it only spouse visa and trv?
You are a PR & want to apply for your spouse’s open work permit? Haven’t you started spousal sponsorship first which includes processing of work permit?

cj7

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
TORONTO
You are a PR & want to apply for your spouse’s open work permit? Haven’t you started spousal sponsorship first which includes processing of work permit?
because it is the outland application and open work permit with sponsorship only applies to inland applications i think. i have started spousal and thinking to apply for work permit or trv so i can bring her faster.