+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP, Spousal Sponsorship, Inland application 2023 LATEST PROGRESS

Aug 3, 2023
That seems great! So did you receive your Spousal Open Work Permit? Because Eligibility Passed means First Stage Approval.
We did not apply for OWP; we did consider it, but my husband wants to import his car before getting a job & we are fortunate to be comfortable enough financially that he can wait for his PR :)

Reactions: vivianroy

Rifa<3

May 31, 2021
Dubai, UAE
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
15 May 2021
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-05-2021
Hi everyone,
We have applied for SOWP on Sep 5,2023 and there is still no update. I have tried to raise a web form and calling the IRCC but there is no response. My husband had recieved a letter allowing him to work until March 4,2024. What if we don’t recieve any update by then? Is anyone in this situation?

vivianroy

Jul 18, 2019
Hi everyone,
We have applied for SOWP on Sep 5,2023 and there is still no update. I have tried to raise a web form and calling the IRCC but there is no response. My husband had recieved a letter allowing him to work until March 4,2024. What if we don’t recieve any update by then? Is anyone in this situation?
Hi Rifa, may I see your timeline please? that way I may be able to tell when you could receive your SOWP.

Rifa<3

May 31, 2021
Dubai, UAE
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
15 May 2021
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-05-2021
Hi Rifa, may I see your timeline please? that way I may be able to tell when you could receive your SOWP.
Hi Vivian,
There is an update just this morning. Received biometrics validity letter (named as correspondence letter) for both me and my husband and it shows the eligibility review has started for us. The processing office is Edmonton. How long does it take for the final decision after eligibility has started?

My timeline so far:
Application for SPE and SOWP Ext - 5th Sep, 2023
Medicals: submitted upfront
Eligibility review started - 25 Jan, 2024
Processing office - Edmonton

Last edited:

vivianroy

Jul 18, 2019
Hi Vivian,
There is an update just this morning. Received biometrics validity letter (named as correspondence letter) for both me and my husband and it shows the eligibility review has started for us. The processing office is Edmonton. How long does it take for the final decision after eligibility has started?

My timeline so far:
Application for SPE and SOWP Ext - 5th Sep, 2023
Medicals: submitted upfront
Eligibility review started - 25 Jan, 2024
Hey, so I received my SOWP (not Ext. but new one) 17 days after I completed my biometrics. They asked for my biometrics on Sept 26 and I completed it on Oct 10 (because that's the earliest appointment date I was getting at a service canada (you can also walk-in but wait time is 2-3 hours). I received my SOWP on 27th Oct along with my Eligibility completion letter. :)

Rifa<3

May 31, 2021
Dubai, UAE
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
15 May 2021
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-05-2021
Hey, so I received my SOWP (not Ext. but new one) 17 days after I completed my biometrics. They asked for my biometrics on Sept 26 and I completed it on Oct 10 (because that's the earliest appointment date I was getting at a service canada (you can also walk-in but wait time is 2-3 hours). I received my SOWP on 27th Oct along with my Eligibility completion letter. :)
Thank you for your quick response. We have already submitted our biometrics and the validity letter recieved states its valid till 2025. but today we got biometrics validity letter named as correspondance letter and eligibility review has started. Any idea as to how long it would take for final decision after this update?

Last edited:

vivianroy

Jul 18, 2019
Thank you for your quick response. We have already submitted our biometrics and the validity letter recieved states its valid till 2025. but today we got biometrics validity letter named as correspondance letter and eligibility review has started. Any idea as to how long it would take for final decision after this update?
You can expect a good news by this new week :)

Rifa<3

May 31, 2021
Dubai, UAE
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
15 May 2021
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-05-2021
You can expect a good news by this new week :)
Thank you Vivian. We received an approval of SPE and SOWP ext on 26th Jan in the evening hours. Valid till 19 July 2024 for the both of us.

Timeline:
- Application for SPE and SOWP Ext - 5th Sep, 2023
- Background check started and completed - 7th Sep, 2023
- Medicals: submitted upfront
- Biometrics: submitted upfront
- Eligibility review started and completed- 25 Jan, 2024
- Correspondence Letter (Biometrics Validity Letter) received = 25 Jan, 2024
- Extension approved for both = 26 Jan, 2024

Rifa<3

May 31, 2021
Dubai, UAE
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
15 May 2021
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-05-2021
I do have another concern, my 2nd course starts in Sep 2024 (current permits expire on july). So i believe naturally we will be applying for extensions of the current permits rather than new permits.

In that case I have 2 questions, considering the recent IRCC announcements:

1- Since we are SP and SOWP cases, if i opt for a course in May 2024 instead of Sep and then apply for SPE and SOWP ext right now then would it still impact my SOWP ext?

2- I have heard from some visa agents that if I'm opting for Sep 2024 course then I can only apply for SPE and SOWP ext within 150 days of the commencement of the course. Is this true? Considering the recent updates, I would like to apply for new extension asap but dont want rejection because i applied before 150 days frame.

vivianroy

Jul 18, 2019
Congratulations!!!
I would just wait to apply within the 150 days window to be safe because application fees are not cheap and extensions don't require as much documents or processing as new applications.

vivianroy

Jul 18, 2019
So today I got my COPR update on my tracker for my Spousal Sponsorship, however I have a question, why does my expiry date say Sept 2024? Please advise

PoojaP17

Nov 10, 2023
The expiry will be one year from when you did the medical.
If you notice, your medical will also have same expiry date.

I applied on August 17th. I got COPR details on March 4th. People who applied in august starting have already got portal 2 invitation as well. Since you applied in the middle of July itself, you should have got your PR card already

So today I got my COPR update on my tracker for my Spousal Sponsorship, however I have a question, why does my expiry date say Sept 2024? Please advise

Last edited:

vivianroy

Jul 18, 2019
The expiry will be one year from when you did the medical.
If you notice, your medical will also have same expiry date.

I applied on August 17th. I got COPR details on March 4th. People who applied in august starting have already got portal 2 invitation as well. Since you applied in the middle of July itself, you should have got your PR card already
Not sure if our applications are the same. I applied for spousal sponsorship. what is portal 2? LOL

PoojaP17

Nov 10, 2023
Not sure if our applications are the same. I applied for spousal sponsorship. what is portal 2? LOL
Yeah, same. I am the applicant. My husband has sponsored me.
After the background completion, we see the copr details in the tracker.
Shortly after that we get a mail to give some information to IRCC which is portal 1 where they ask you if you are in Canada or not.
Once portal 1 mail is sent out, they create a PR case for you, that comes out as another email. This is portal 2 where you give your address and the photo for the PR card.