+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP or wait?

mindfreaak

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Hello,
I am currently living in Canada for more than one year and I recently got married (1 week ago). My spouse is living outside Canada. I'm applying for Express Entry under CEC program since I am working temporarily in Canada for a year now! my Work permit expires in august 2 2019. I was only thinking to submit a profile with my spouse but I heard about Spouse Open Work Permit. The question is :

in case we chose to apply for a SOWP for my wife, am I able to apply for PR while SOWP is in progress? because I heard it takes 10 weeks to get the SOWP ready while I want to apply for PR asap.

EXAMPLE : if I submit a SOWP today, am I able to apply for PR next week? while SOWP is in progress

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello,
I am currently living in Canada for more than one year and I recently got married (1 week ago). My spouse is living outside Canada. I'm applying for Express Entry under CEC program since I am working temporarily in Canada for a year now! my Work permit expires in august 2 2019. I was only thinking to submit a profile with my spouse but I heard about Spouse Open Work Permit. The question is :

in case we chose to apply for a SOWP for my wife, am I able to apply for PR while SOWP is in progress? because I heard it takes 10 weeks to get the SOWP ready while I want to apply for PR asap.

EXAMPLE : if I submit a SOWP today, am I able to apply for PR next week? while SOWP is in progress
SOWP has no impact on your eligibility to apply for PR.

HOWEVER, you have to have at least 6 months remaining on your work permit for your spouse to be eligible for an SOWP, so that is not an option at this moment.

After you apply for PR, however, you could be eligible to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). At the same time, your wife could submit an SOWP application based on your BOWP application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

You have to be within 4 months of the expiry of your current permit before you are eligible to apply for the BOWP.

Sapphire Blue

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019

HOWEVER, you have to have at least 6 months remaining on your work permit for your spouse to be eligible for an SOWP, so that is not an option at this moment.

After you apply for PR, however, you could be eligible to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). At the same time, your wife could submit an SOWP application based on your BOWP application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

You have to be within 4 months of the expiry of your current permit before you are eligible to apply for the BOWP.
How can one qualify for SOWP?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Reactions: Sapphire Blue

cyrilcb11

Jul 30, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......

Hi @jes_ON

Please help me with my question, I've 11 months left on my PGWP and already in the EE pool with CRS score of 448 and no ITA. She's a dependent in my PR application and I'm planning to apply for SOWP;

• Should I like my CIC account with my spouse's after SOWP application? or mention in her invitation letter than we've already applied for PR and in the pool?
Thank you for your time.