+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP extension and COVID

omarreyes

Mar 26, 2018
Hello.

I applied for a PGWP on January 9, and at the same time for a SOWP extension for my wife since i had a job offer in NOC B from the same employer that i had been working for during my student days.

We applied with all the corresponding documentation.

Due to COVID, in March 12, i got temporarily laid off due to lack of work and a record of employment was issued so i could apply to EI since i worked on wage per hour instead of salary, but technically i am still an employee of the company, with access to all the systems and everything.

My question is: will this period of inactivity and the fact that they emitted a ROE on my behalf affect my spouse extension for SOWP? Given that everything was in order at the moment of application and the reasons of the layoff was for reasons unforseen and helpless by anybody and given the nature of my job (we do physical inventory to businesses, and its stated in the job offer that was submitted with the application) could they refuse her extension? That would place us in very dire circumstance since she works in a pharma company and is basically the only provider of the family right now.... I am very worried.

I appreciate any light that can be given, based on general knowledge, experience or probably recent similar case since this is new to all of us and evolving every day.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello.

I applied for a PGWP on January 9, and at the same time for a SOWP extension for my wife since i had a job offer in NOC B from the same employer that i had been working for during my student days.

Due to COVID, in March 12, i got temporarily laid off due to lack of work and a record of employment was issued so i could apply to EI since i worked on wage per hour instead of salary, but technically i am still an employee of the company, with access to all the systems and everything.

My question is: will this period of inactivity and the fact that they emitted a ROE on my behalf affect my spouse extension for SOWP? Given that everything was in order at the moment of application and the reasons of the layoff was for reasons unforseen and helpless by anybody and given the nature of my job (we do physical inventory to businesses, and its stated in the job offer that was submitted with the application) could they refuse her extension? That would place us in very dire circumstance since she works in a pharma company and is basically the only provider of the family right now.... I am very worried.

I appreciate any light that can be given, based on general knowledge, experience or probably recent similar case since this is new to all of us and evolving every day.

Thanks!
When you applied for the SOWP, did you indicate that you are presently working for that employer in a NOC B role and did you include three recent pay slips? If so, there's probably a very good chance the SOWP will be approved.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello.

Thanks!
IRCC can't see your ROE; that is done by an entirely different government department. As scylla said, if you submitted a complete app, it should be fine.

omarreyes

Mar 26, 2018
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, at the moment of applying i submitted a complete file with all the documents required for both, my PGWP and her SOWP extension.

Thanks!

siddhesh2020

Sep 9, 2020
Hello.

Thanks!
Hello can you please share the list of documents you submitted during extension as I am in similar position at this time.