+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP conversion from TRV/Study Permit

iwobinho

Mar 1, 2022
Hi,

Looking for some advice. My wife is in India, we are newly married. I am on an open work permit and want to bring her to Canada with me.

The SOWP processing times from India are pretty long right now. I was considering inviting her for my graduation (to show a temporary visit) on TRV and applying for SOWP from inside Canada since its faster. If we apply for TRV stating graduation and a short stay and then apply for SOWP would this reflect on her or does IRCC not care about that?

Another option is registering her to a course and inviting her on a study permit. Is it possible to bring her here and convert study permit to SOWP under me, or would the study permit need to be cancelled first?

rohit23564

Nov 4, 2022
I have same kind of question.
I am on study permit, I am going to apply for pgwp. and my wife will be here on sowp.
When my pgwp will near to expire, can my wife take study and can I convert my visa from pgwp to sowp??

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am on study permit, I am going to apply for pgwp. and my wife will be here on sowp.
When my pgwp will near to expire, can my wife take study and can I convert my visa from pgwp to sowp??
No. You can not do that.

You are not eligible for SOWP as you are considered the Principal Foreign National (PFN). This refers to the person/foreign national who first applied for temporary status in Canada – in this case, the student. You cannot get a SOWP. So you need to focus on getting PR or a LMIA with closed work permit.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Th ability to do this was recently stopped because too many couples were using this to extend their stay in Canada. Couples would alternate between studying and working. If you see older information you will likely see that this is possible but due to the recent changes it is no longer possible. One of the reasons I would suggest studying for 2+ years so you will be able to get a 3 year PGWP