+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP approved, can I enter Canada without my spouse?

nico69

Feb 27, 2024
Hello,

My husband and I have both been approved for visas. His is a work visa in the medical field and mine is an SOWP. We've run into some difficulty as he is a Mexican citizen and with the recent change in the law he is required to send off his passport for a TRV stamp before he can travel to Canada and get his work permit.

I have a US passport, and an introduction letter stating that my SOWP application has been approved, and will need to be finalized with an immigration officer at a port of entry. I want to know if I would be allowed to enter into Canada and get my work permit finalized while he stays in the US and waits for his TRV? The introduction letter just states that I've been approved for a work permit, and does not mention anything about my spouse or his visa.

The reason I'd like to enter ASAP is because we've driven a car full of our stuff and our dog from Mexico City to Detroit, and after getting clarification about things at the border, we decided it would be quicker and cheaper for my husband to fly to the NYC VAC in order to (hopefully) get the stamp quicker. I'm just staying at a hotel in Detroit with my dog while we wait, but meanwhile I have an apartment in Toronto that we've paid rent on and is sitting empty until we arrive. It would be much cheaper for us if I could go to Toronto and start living in that apartment, and my husband could fly to Toronto from NYC once his passport is returned. The alternative is paying for a hotel here for up to 3 weeks (hopefully a lot shorter, but i've heard wait times reported all over the place), and having him fly back to Detroit so we could cross together.

Any information would be helpful, thanks!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

My husband and I have both been approved for visas. His is a work visa in the medical field and mine is an SOWP. We've run into some difficulty as he is a Mexican citizen and with the recent change in the law he is required to send off his passport for a TRV stamp before he can travel to Canada and get his work permit.

I have a US passport, and an introduction letter stating that my SOWP application has been approved, and will need to be finalized with an immigration officer at a port of entry. I want to know if I would be allowed to enter into Canada and get my work permit finalized while he stays in the US and waits for his TRV? The introduction letter just states that I've been approved for a work permit, and does not mention anything about my spouse or his visa.

The reason I'd like to enter ASAP is because we've driven a car full of our stuff and our dog from Mexico City to Detroit, and after getting clarification about things at the border, we decided it would be quicker and cheaper for my husband to fly to the NYC VAC in order to (hopefully) get the stamp quicker. I'm just staying at a hotel in Detroit with my dog while we wait, but meanwhile I have an apartment in Toronto that we've paid rent on and is sitting empty until we arrive. It would be much cheaper for us if I could go to Toronto and start living in that apartment, and my husband could fly to Toronto from NYC once his passport is returned. The alternative is paying for a hotel here for up to 3 weeks (hopefully a lot shorter, but i've heard wait times reported all over the place), and having him fly back to Detroit so we could cross together.

Any information would be helpful, thanks!!!
Wrong section of the forum. Post to the Foreign Workers section.

Reactions: YVR123 and nico69