+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP and Kid TRV approved. What's next?

rythy

Oct 17, 2019
Hi,

I am an international student here in Canada.
SOWP is approved for my wife as well as a visitor visa for my kid. I have a few queries.

1. What needs to be done at the airport? Whether a work permit is given to the spouse at the airport? What is the process?
2. Anything else needs to be done for the kid at the airport? Do kids also need to take some kind of permit at the airport?
3. My kid is 6 years old. It is mentioned as a visitor on her passport. The validity for her visa is 2 years (same as mine and my wife's). Is this fine for her and she can study here as my wife also got the SOWP approved or does she need a study permit?

Whether my wife can start applying for jobs here in Canada while she is in her home country? She will be arriving here by November end but we were wondering if we can start applying for jobs and attend virtual interviews.

This would be a great help if some people here give their thoughts/suggestions on these.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hi,

SOWP is approved for my wife as well as a visitor visa for my kid. I have a few queries.

1. What needs to be done at the airport? Whether a work permit is given to the spouse at the airport? What is the process?
2. Anything else needs to be done for the kid at the airport? Do kids also need to take some kind of permit at the airport?
3. My kid is 6 years old. It is mentioned as a visitor on her passport. The validity for her visa is 2 years (same as mine and my wife's). Is this fine for her and she can study here as my wife also got the SOWP approved or does she need a study permit?

Whether my wife can start applying for jobs here in Canada while she is in her home country? She will be arriving here by November end but we were wondering if we can start applying for jobs and attend virtual interviews.

This would be a great help if some people here give their thoughts/suggestions on these.
  1. Yes, SOWP will be issued at PoE.
  2. Minor children who are of school age needs to apply for study permit before coming to Canada. Children can still be admitted as “visitors” at PoE if they have not applied for SP from home country. See this link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/guidelines-on-minor-children.html

Scenarios

Applying from overseas
The study permit exemption for minor children pursuant to subsection 30(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) applies when a minor child is already in Canada.

Visa offices processing temporary residence applications made outside Canada by minor children who want to study in Canada should consider them as students and not as visitors, even when they are accompanying a parent who is authorized to either work or study in Canada. In other words, a study permit is required, unless they are exempt from requiring one pursuant to section R188.

Applying at a port of entry (POE)
A minor child coming to Canada to study should have applied and obtained a letter of introduction (approval in writing) at a visa office, or be entitled to apply for a study permit upon entry pursuant to section R214.

If they have not done so, and because POEs are considered “in Canada” for the interpretation of subsection A30(2), officers at a POE may authorize entry of the child as a temporary resident within the visitor class if all the requirements are met (e.g., the accompanying parent is permitted to work or study in Canada) and if the child is not otherwise inadmissible. The child should be documented on a visitor record. When the child ceases to be considered a minor, an application for a study permit must be submitted if they wish to continue studying.

rythy

Oct 17, 2019
  1. Yes, SOWP will be issued at PoE.
  2. Minor children who are of school age needs to apply for study permit before coming to Canada. Children can still be admitted as “visitors” at PoE if they have not applied for SP from home country. See this link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/guidelines-on-minor-children.html

Thank you. Bit confusing. It says if the children are already in Canada they are authorized to study without a study permit. Here my daughter's visa is for 2 years so she will be in Canada in November end. Then we can go to school in the 1st week of December (as she will be already in Canada, hence study permit is not needed?).

a foreign national coming to Canada and is accompanied by a parent with a study or work permitChild’s passportYes

already in Canada with a parent who has a study or work permit
or
already in Canada but neither parent is in Canada
Child’s passport. The child may have a visitor record. The parent has a study or work permit.Footnote1 It’s recommended that the child get a study permit, even though it’s not required.No

Is a study permit required? [A30(2)]
Minor children already in Canada are authorized to study without a study permit at the pre-school, primary or secondary level if

one of their parents (biological or adoptive) is authorized to work or study in Canada; this includes temporary residents who are
  • work permit holders,
  • study permit holders,

A minor child coming to Canada to study should have applied and obtained a letter of introduction (approval in writing) at a visa office, or be entitled to apply for a study permit upon entry pursuant to section R214.
If they have not done so, and because POEs are considered “in Canada” for the interpretation of subsection A30(2), officers at a POE may authorize entry of the child as a temporary resident within the visitor class if all the requirements are met (e.g., the accompanying parent is permitted to work or study in Canada) and if the child is not otherwise inadmissible. The child should be documented on a visitor record. When the child ceases to be considered a minor, an application for a study permit must be submitted if they wish to continue studying.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Thank you. Bit confusing. It says if the children are already in Canada they are authorized to study without a study permit. Here my daughter's visa is for 2 years so she will be in Canada in November end. Then we can go to school in the 1st week of December (as she will be already in Canada, hence study permit is not needed?).

a foreign national coming to Canada and is accompanied by a parent with a study or work permitChild’s passportYes

already in Canada with a parent who has a study or work permit
or
already in Canada but neither parent is in Canada
Child’s passport. The child may have a visitor record. The parent has a study or work permit.Footnote1 It’s recommended that the child get a study permit, even though it’s not required.No

Is a study permit required? [A30(2)]
Minor children already in Canada are authorized to study without a study permit at the pre-school, primary or secondary level if

one of their parents (biological or adoptive) is authorized to work or study in Canada; this includes temporary residents who are
  • work permit holders,
  • study permit holders,

Yeah, it is confusing. Previously, yes, minor children in Canada doesn't need SP. But lately, school boards are asking for study permit for non-PR/non-citizens minor children. Back in 2019, that requirement was not yet included in the website. Yet, the district school board asked for a study permit for my son.

Reactions: Naturgrl

rythy

Oct 17, 2019
Yeah, it is confusing. Previously, yes, minor children in Canada doesn't need SP. But lately, school boards are asking for study permit for non-PR/non-citizens minor children. Back in 2019, that requirement was not yet included in the website. Yet, the district school board asked for a study permit for my son.
Yeah, it is confusing. In one statement they are saying minor needs a study permit to study in Canada (kids of work permit holders or international students). Then another statement says if already in Canada then not needed. So yeah why not get into Canada with a visitor visa and that's all? (as my kids visa is approved for 2 years)
Maybe I will visit the school and check if they have anything to say in this.

And can my wife apply for jobs in Canada and start giving interviews? Or need to land here first and then start?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Yeah, it is confusing. In one statement they are saying minor needs a study permit to study in Canada (kids of work permit holders or international students). Then another statement says if already in Canada then not needed. So yeah why not get into Canada with a visitor visa and that's all? (as my kids visa is approved for 2 years)
Maybe I will visit the school and check if they have anything to say in this.

And can my wife apply for jobs in Canada and start giving interviews? Or need to land here first and then start?
You cannot visit the school, you visit the school board. And depending on which school boards, you may or may not get addmision with a visitor record.

Your wife can apply but most employers would ask for proof of work authorization. Still, worth a try.

cizawcan

Star Member
Dec 25, 2022
Out of curiosity 2:
1) Did you show POF for your wife's Sowp? If yes - how much?
3) what country did you apply from?

Last edited:

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Out of curiosity 2:
1) Did you show POF for your wife's Sowp? If yes - how much?
3) what country did you apply from?
  1. No PoF, just LoE
  2. Philippines

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hi,

1. What needs to be done at the airport? Whether a work permit is given to the spouse at the airport? What is the process? Provide PPR letter and Port of Entry - WP Will be issued
2. Anything else needs to be done for the kid at the airport? Do kids also need to take some kind of permit at the airport? Not needed. If you are on a Study Permit, kid can go to school with Visitor visa - Make sure to ask for a visitor record if not given
3. My kid is 6 years old. It is mentioned as a visitor on her passport. The validity for her visa is 2 years (same as mine and my wife's). Is this fine for her and she can study here as my wife also got the SOWP approved or does she need a study permit? When you apply your extension, apply study permit Inland

Whether my wife can start applying for jobs here in Canada while she is in her home country? She will be arriving here by November end but we were wondering if we can start applying for jobs and attend virtual interviews. You can try but without a SIN# payroll cannot be run. Makes things tough