+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOS: Leaving Canada while outland spousal sponsorship is in process

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
Hello all,
I need your advice on an urgent issue, please.

Background:
I am a Canadian citizen and applied to sponsor my wife (currently in the US—not a US citizen)--outland. The application was submitted in February of 2022. We found out we got pregnant recently which means she will not be allowed to complete the x-ray part of the medicals; thus, her application would be on hold.

Dilemma:
I do not want her to be by herself during the pregnancy, so I applied for a job in the US (temporarily) to be close to her throughout the pregnancy. I am not sure how this would affect her sponsorship application. We have received AOR and I have been approved as a sponsor. I will also maintain my Canadian address.

Questions:
Can I leave the country to accept another job in the US for that long while her application is ongoing?
Do I have to notify IRCC of the job and pregnancy?
Would other parts of the application process advance while medical is pending?
How soon after the x-ray is provided would the application be completed?

I look forward to your candid advice, as always. Please feel free to share if you have experienced a similar scenario.

Thanks,

Zenn1

Jul 4, 2022
Since you are a Canadian Citizen, you can sponsor your wife while living with her in another country. Only permanent residents need to be present in Canada while family sponsorship application is in progress. I am not sure about the X-RAY though. You can try to search in the forum for responses as pregnancy while application is still under process is very common. You will have to notify about the address change since you will not be living there.

gurpreetd33

Jul 4, 2022
Since you are a Canadian Citizen, you can sponsor your wife while living with her in another country. Only permanent residents need to be present in Canada while family sponsorship application is in progress. I am not sure about the X-RAY though. You can try to search in the forum for responses as pregnancy while application is still under process is very common. You will have to notify about the address change since you will not be living there.
I am a Pr have already applied for my spouse. We still haven't received AOR. I am planning to visit my spouss in india in a month can i not leave canada while our application is process?

Zenn1

Jul 4, 2022
I am a Pr have already applied for my spouse. We still haven't received AOR. I am planning to visit my spouss in india in a month can i not leave canada while our application is process?
You can go on a short vacation I guess. It is not advisable stay out of Canada for several months while family sponsorship application is in progress.

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
Awesome. Thanks a lot.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also if i visit every two months that would be considered fine or will that create an issue ?
Would not suggest visiting regularly. 1 or two short visits maximum depending on how long sponsorship takes. As a PR you should be establishing your life in Canada and spending the majority of the sponsorship period in Canada. The requirement is to remain in Canada throughout the sponsorship period. IRCC does seem to overlook a short visit (around 2-3 week) but technically no visit is allowed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,
I need your advice on an urgent issue, please.

Background:
I am a Canadian citizen and applied to sponsor my wife (currently in the US—not a US citizen)--outland. The application was submitted in February of 2022. We found out we got pregnant recently which means she will not be allowed to complete the x-ray part of the medicals; thus, her application would be on hold.

Dilemma:
I do not want her to be by herself during the pregnancy, so I applied for a job in the US (temporarily) to be close to her throughout the pregnancy. I am not sure how this would affect her sponsorship application. We have received AOR and I have been approved as a sponsor. I will also maintain my Canadian address.

Questions:
Can I leave the country to accept another job in the US for that long while her application is ongoing?
Do I have to notify IRCC of the job and pregnancy?
Would other parts of the application process advance while medical is pending?
How soon after the x-ray is provided would the application be completed?

I look forward to your candid advice, as always. Please feel free to share if you have experienced a similar scenario.

Thanks,
You need to advise IRCC of the pregnancy and your new address and job. The only issue will be that you will need to have concrete proof that you will be relocating to Canada once your spouse gets PR.

Reactions: tosinosho1992