10/Feb/2017
AOR Received.
28/2/2017
Med's Request
10/Feb/2017
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
12/9/2017
The only one who refused to accept is you.

Canada is a supportive society, and this includes support for homeless people. This type of reasoning may be new to you, because in China, the government solves the homeless problem by evicting them from cities. However, in Canada, the government supports everybody, including the homeless.

Do you know about the "custody and repatriation (in Chinese: 收容遣送)" system in China? This system was set up to remove beggars and homeless people from cities, and wasn't abolished until 2003. Just recently (last month), the capital city of Beijing evicted a substantial number of people who do not have Beijing residence permit (hukou) just because they were considered "low-end" (低端).

This may be the way Chinese government handling "problems": by suppressing and eliminating people who are socioeconomically disadvantaged and needing help. However, in Canada, everyone is created equal and deserves full support from the government, including the homeless. If you can't accept this idea, you can either kindly move to another area of Vancouver or go back to China.
Not only Chinese, but Indian mons in our community are also strongly disagree with it. They take kids to fight for this. I can feel they’re so brave. I would prefer Indian people to give me more ideas! I think they are smart and brave! Thanks!

cencentaotao

Star Member
Mar 18, 2016
Visa Office......
Hongkong vo
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
10/Feb/2017
AOR Received.
28/2/2017
Med's Request
10/Feb/2017
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
12/9/2017
I'm going to say this, and please know I don't sound to mean harsh. But as the person above said, you've been here a few months. You can't expect the City to deviate it's plans because newly landed immigrants (who could move) are unhappy. It's a blessing to be allowed to move to Canada as a PR. It's not a right...and you can't vote. So regardless of how you feel about Mayor Robertson, your hands are tied. What are you going to do? Say you won't vote for him next election? You can't vote. None of us can until we're citizens.

I know the "struggle" (and I use that term loosely) of dealing with homeless people and drug addicts. HOWEVER, the two are not mutually exclusive. I live in Gastown. I walk by homeless people every day on my way to work. It is a well known issue that the Downtown Eastside has issues with both homeless people and drug addicts. By moving there, you accepted that. You can't expect to change plans that are already in motion to address it. I, for one, will be at the December meeting because I'm curious how the temporary modular housing will work (keep in mind they already have a very successful housing unit such as the one they will continue to install).

By the way, more info can be found here http://vancouver.ca/people-programs/temporary-modular-housing.aspx
Thanks for your kindness

cencentaotao

Star Member
Mar 18, 2016
Visa Office......
Hongkong vo
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
10/Feb/2017
AOR Received.
28/2/2017
Med's Request
10/Feb/2017
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
12/9/2017
I concur with @scylla. This issue has nothing to do with democracy. Democracy is not equivalent to "everything according to your wishes". (Since you came from an authoritarian country, I don't blame you for misunderstanding democracy.) While I appreciate your efforts to make your voice heard, namecalling (just like what you did) will not help in solving this issue. Also, if you are not happy with Canada, you can feel free to move back to China and enjoy the polluted air there (and also no homeless people in China, because they have all been evicted from cities).
all you talk to me are just the information written on the media, which are useless to me and waste time to both of us. But still thanks for your time and attention! I just wanna find some methods to solve problems, not discuss the problem s again and again, like the city. They’re not solving problem. in contrast, they’re making new problems. Thanks again!

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
My 2 cents: we are new immigrants and it was made clear that we can't vote until we get the citizenship (for those who want to).

We have no say in the mayor's decisions. As permanent residents, we can live and work in the country if we accept the existing laws and rules. Whether you find the rules good or bad, this is another debate but again, we are just residents and not citizens - we should respect that.

Reactions: mgnlky