+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sopnsorship and co-signer questions

tex007

Oct 25, 2007
Hi all,
I am a motion picture lighting technician in Texas. My wife was born in Canada and lived in Texas for many years as a resident “alien” where we met married and had two beautiful girls. After visiting her parents in B.C., We decided, for many reasons, to move there. My wife and daughters have moved there and I come to visit regularly.
We want to go the sponsored spouse rout. Although she works she has recently been accepted into an accredited fashion design program and has reduced her hours at her job. The resulting affect is that she is below the minimum income for 4 dependants (herself, me, and the 2 kids) but is not on any social assistance. She is receiving student loans.
Speaking to the union local in B.C. there is more than enough work there for me once I get my papers. I will have no problems getting work and supporting my family as I have a BA, years of experience and am a union member. I have gotten all the papers together for the PR filing but am worried about the ability for my wife to sponsor me.

So I want to know how to proceed.
Is the student loan money considered income or a detriment to the sponsorship qualification?
If my wife can not sponsor me can her parents? Can they cosign?

Is there another rout to PR that is better for me than the family rout?
I miss my family dearly and need to resolve this PR issue ASAP. Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tex007 said:
Hi all,
I am a motion picture lighting technician in Texas. My wife was born in Canada and lived in Texas for many years as a resident “alien” where we met married and had two beautiful girls. After visiting her parents in B.C., We decided, for many reasons, to move there. My wife and daughters have moved there and I come to visit regularly.
We want to go the sponsored spouse rout. Although she works she has recently been accepted into an accredited fashion design program and has reduced her hours at her job. The resulting affect is that she is below the minimum income for 4 dependants (herself, me, and the 2 kids) but is not on any social assistance. She is receiving student loans.
Speaking to the union local in B.C. there is more than enough work there for me once I get my papers. I will have no problems getting work and supporting my family as I have a BA, years of experience and am a union member. I have gotten all the papers together for the PR filing but am worried about the ability for my wife to sponsor me.

So I want to know how to proceed.
Is the student loan money considered income or a detriment to the sponsorship qualification?
If my wife can not sponsor me can her parents? Can they cosign?

Is there another rout to PR that is better for me than the family rout?
I miss my family dearly and need to resolve this PR issue ASAP. Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
1. For the 8th thousand and twentieth time, spousal sponsors do not have to meet the Low Income figure, as long as they are not collecting public assistance (except for disability) or are an undischarged bankrupt, they can sponsor if are only making $12 a year. She would have to complete the financial evaluation, but does not have to meet the LICO.
2. Assuming you wife is the mother of the girls, then they are Canadian citizens by birth. She would only be sponsoring you.
3. Assuming that you will process the application as an outside application, send the application with the support documents, your Police Checks and the medical receipt and have her submit the package with her sponsorship to Mississauga.
4. If you and her get on it, and there are no skeletons in your closet, you could have your PR within 3-11 months.
5. Follow the instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
6. PS your spouse should apply for citizenship cards for the girls if she hasn't already.

PMM

By the way don't be so anxious for a reply, no one is awake on the west coast at 2/3 in the AM