+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sons girlfriend and baby

Russell

Jan 7, 2009
We are just ready to post our supporting documentation, police checks, CVs confirmation of worth etc for our application as investors in BC, and have just found out that our 19 year old son and his long term girlfriend are expecting a baby in Aug 09. My son was planning to join us in our move to a new life and is included in our application Tho his girlfriend is not. he still wants to come and plans to stay with his girlfriend and child, possibly getting married. How does this affect our application. Can we move and later have our son and his family join us, or does he/she and baby have to make a seperate application with family sponsorship.they both live with us and will continue to do so when the baby arrives, both here in the uk and also if/when we emmigrate. We have 2 younger teenage boys. hope someone can advise on this issue. Thanks. Russ.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's tricky when you have a dependent child who is already in a relationship with a baby. If he can become PR before the baby is born, it would be simpler for him to marry the gf later and sponsor her and the baby himself. He does not need to meet any income requirements to do that.

If they are already living together more than a year, it becomes even more tricky because then she is his common law partner and then it's a question if he is a dependent child of yours anymore. If you lose him off your application because of that, you can not sponsor him later under family sponsorship if you are living in BC. If you were living in AB, SK or MB, you could but if you are in BC, he would have to find a way to immigrate on his own.

Russell

Jan 7, 2009
Thanks for that Leon, very interesting! My son is currently in an apprenticeship as a Heating engineer with a renewable energy company, although only in his first year at present by the time we get a decision, hopefully in the positive he may well have completed his time served training. Knowing the processing time for the investor catergory!! As his type of skill base is classed presently as 'in demand' do you think he should put an in application at a later (or sooner evn) date and come with us on a temporary visa or under the skilled worker class? Its so uncertain and we thank you very much for any advice you can give. Russ

p.s They currently dont live together they each live with parents and as we intend to emigrate this will probably remain the situation for the foreseable future. Thanks again..Russ

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they don't live together, he's still your dependent but if you are expecting this appplication to take a long time, not sure what that is for BC investor, he might already be living on his own and married by the time you get your PR. If he has a valuable trade, it should not be too hard for him to come visit you, look for a job and get a job offer to apply for PR under PNP or FSW.

Jan 9, 2009
Hi. I have almost the same situation. I sponsored my parents and my brother (as dependant ) 4 years ago, but my brother had a baby with his girlfriend. They are not married nor living together. Now, we're not sure whether to add his baby in the application. And we're not sure how it would affect the application if we do, because my brother is a dependant himself.
If there's anyone with more information, I would appreciate a reply. Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

raggamuffngurl said:
Hi. I have almost the same situation. I sponsored my parents and my brother (as dependant ) 4 years ago, but my brother had a baby with his girlfriend. They are not married nor living together. Now, we're not sure whether to add his baby in the application. And we're not sure how it would affect the application if we do, because my brother is a dependant himself.
If there's anyone with more information, I would appreciate a reply. Thanks.
The brother has to add the child to the application whether it is accompanying or not.

PMM

Russell

Jan 7, 2009
we were planning on settling in BC, can we choose to settle in Alberta or any where else in canada if we are accepted as investors thereby being able to sponser our son and family under family sponsorship?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are going as a federal investor, you can pick your province as far as I know. If you are going as a BC investor under their PNP, you have to look at what their terms are. If they give you a conditional PR based on your business success in BC, you will have to honor that before you can move anywhere else. If you are in AB, you have to have lived there for 2 years to sponsor somebody under family stream and you have to have also been PR for 2 years or a citizen. If you are in MB or SK, you need to be a PR or citizen and have lived in the province for one year in order to sponsor.

Russell

Jan 7, 2009
Thanks Leon, As i understand it we will give the canadian gov, $400,000 CAD for 5 years which is returned less interest. Tho we may eventually start a business, this way we dont HAVE to. Do you know if that means we dont have to be PR for a set term in any given province before sponsoring or do conditions remain the same. thanks Russ.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are investing 400,000 with the federal government, then you are federal and can go to any province you want. If you want to sponsor your son later, you should look into SK or MB since they only require you to live there for a year before you can sponsor. AB is 2 years.

The SK program is at http://www.immigration.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=ac7e22f9-6b46-48fd-b5d7-cc7c01447482&Anc=7e8f4b1d-79b4-4120-8b3a-599d97fc7875&Pa=ebd9edd0-fecd-4503-b6f7-70a7366de4c4

The MB program is at http://www2.immigratemanitoba.com/browse/howtoimmigrate/pnp/pnp-family_support.html

The AB program is at http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/familystream.html

Russell

Jan 7, 2009
Thanks again Leon, very helpful.

On a seperate issue, we have to prove our evidence of language, do you know exactly what is required and how we prove our English language skills? other than the fact we are English, live and run a successful business in the UK and have filled in by hand all our application documents. is it good enough to sign a declaration stating we are proficient in reading writing and speaking English?

Thanks Russ

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If English is your first language, you don't have to prove anything. If it were not, you would have to take IELTS.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
If English is your first language, you don't have to prove anything. If it were not, you would have to take IELTS.
You include a letter with you application stating that all your education, work and home was in English.

PMM

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Forgive me if I repeat anything others have said - I have a headache and didn't read through all the replies you've already received. But I did want to mention a couple of things.

Unfortunately, this is going to complicate things for you guys because CIC will not know how to deal with it. In fact, they will probably delay finalizing the application until after the birth of the baby so they can compel the child's examination, but don't be tempted to avoid disclosing the impending birth so that it isn't an issue for this application because later, when he tries to sponsor his child and his/her mother, CIC will try to make her and the baby inadmissible because he didn't disclose his impending fatherhood before he landed.

If your son marries his gf now, he will no longer qualify as a dependent child and will not be able to be included on your application. In addition, prepare yourself for CIC to make an issue of his eligibility as far as whether or not he is in a common-law relationship with the mother of his child. If they can make a case in that regard, they will find him ineligible that way. This is not going to be a simple situation to deal with - even if it seems clear cut now. Hopefully they have not lived together - be prepared to prove it - and once you all land in Canada, he can marry her (assuming that's his intention) and sponsor her to come to Canada, too.

In that regard, whether the child is born before or after you submit the ap, designate him/her as a non-accompanying dependent - that allows him/her to be included later on the sponsorship ap with his mother. Also, be aware that sponsoring a dependent child with a child of his own means that you will have to meet minimum income requirements to be eligible to sponsor, even though the child will not be coming to Canada with all of you and will actually be sponsored later by your son. He will not have to meet minimum income requirements, though.