+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some questions regarding soft landing

jlyang

Jul 13, 2018
Good day, everyone.

I have received my PPR and will be submitting my passport via my local VAC office mid-May 2019 and have some questions with regards to what happens after. Hope you guys can assist me.
  1. Can I do a quick soft landing in Canada around the first week of September, stay for a week then return back home until July 2020? This is because I just renewed my work contract (July 2019-July 2020) and although I can leave anytime (just need 30-days notice), I would prefer to finish my contract. I made some commitments to my boss that I would hate to break. Plus, the timing is also better for me because after I do my soft landing in early September, estimated I'll get my PR card by October, hopefully. And then I plan to chill first during Christmas (the Christmas holidays is a huge celebration here in the Philippines) then start looking/applying for jobs online and preparing to move from January onward, so that by the time I move, I'll have at least secured employment. (I did prepare enough money to fund me through at least half a year in Canada without working but I would feel more comfortable if I don't leave my current employment and move without finding a replacement job first.)
    • I also saw in some threads that advise me to not make it known that I'll only be going for a short period. Is this really necessary? Would they really examine my entry to Canada so thoroughly in this way? Does anyone have any experience with this that they can tell me? I know that a way to do it is that I should not offer information if not asked, but do you guys have any advise on what to do in case the officer did, in fact, ask me?

• I've read in some threads that Pearson airport in Toronto has automated kiosks which will process my "landing" for me and start my PR card processing -- is this true?

• I absolutely have no clue/can't imagine how the whole thing would happen. Like, I'd fly to the airport for my soft landing then in the immigration counters and then, do I go to the Resident lane or the Foreign Passport lane? Will they immediately interview me there at the immigration counters at the airport, and so I'll need to bring all my documents via my carry-on?
  2. Do I need to get an eTA prior to "soft" landing in Canada?

3. I will be giving my cousin's address (she's currently studying in Toronto but she's there alone, her family is staying in the Philippines) as the location where CIC can ship my PR Card to since she'll also be coming back to the Philippines for Christmas and can hand it over to me during that time, but I would like to land in Vancouver instead because 1. I have several friends who moved to Vancouver whom I want to visit as well, and 2. I feel more secure landing in Vancouver since I have been to Vancouver previously and am somewhat familiar with the place (I'm travelling alone, btw), compared to Toronto which I have never visited before -- is this allowed? Or do I really need to land in Toronto? My concern here is that the immigration will ask me for an address and I don't know if they'll suspect if I provide a Toronto address but land in Vancouver. Would they consider if I tell them that I am just going to visit friends first before settling with my cousin in Toronto?

4. Also, another question: will I be able to open a local bank account at this time? Or do I need to wait until my PR card is in my possession before I can open an account?

5. Would bringing my recently updated passbook be enough as proof of funds? Or do I need to request for an actual bank certificate/statement?

6. I saw some people mentioning that I would need to submit a list of possessions that I will be bringing to Canada via "BSF86" form, but I can't find a copy of the form anywhere. Also, how detailed should I declare my possessions in? I plan on bringing just clothes, my laptop, my phone, a few jewelry (like, earrings that are real gold but only cost around USD60), some shoes, and maybe a blowdryer, which are stuff that tourists normally bring in anyways?
I know I asked a lot of questions, sorry about that. I just want to really cover all bases and understand everything in order to ensure the whole process goes smoothly. And thank you so much in advance for the assistance.

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. Yes, you can do this. There are many soft landing threads on this forum. Search for "Landing Experience Toronto Pearson" and read through to understand the process.

2. Yes, you will either need an immigrant visa, or an ETA.

3. Yes, you can land in Vancouver and give an address in Toronto.

4. Yes, you can open a bank account with your CoPR, SIN Number, and Passport.

5. Best to bring your latest account statement. CBSA usually doesn't ask to see documentation of proof of funds, but if they do, show them the statement.

6. You don't need to fill out the form. Again, search the forum for "Declaring Goods to Follow" and you'll find a lot of threads where this is explained in great detail.

Reactions: jlyang

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If you're landing in Vancouver, search for landing experience in Vancouver, obviously.

jlyang

Jul 13, 2018
1. Yes, you can do this. There are many soft landing threads on this forum. Search for "Landing Experience Toronto Pearson" and read through to understand the process.

2. Yes, you will either need an immigrant visa, or an ETA.

3. Yes, you can land in Vancouver and give an address in Toronto.

4. Yes, you can open a bank account with your CoPR, SIN Number, and Passport.

5. Best to bring your latest account statement. CBSA usually doesn't ask to see documentation of proof of funds, but if they do, show them the statement.

6. You don't need to fill out the form. Again, search the forum for "Declaring Goods to Follow" and you'll find a lot of threads where this is explained in great detail.
Hi, thanks for the response! :)

1. I did read up on different landing experiences in the forum. :) Sorry if I didn't make it clear, because I was typing my original post while at the same time, reading up on stuff so I missed out on editing some of my original questions before posting. :( But to be honest, the more I read, the more confused I get, actually. I mean, I already get the general gist - once I land, I will need to pass through the automated kiosk and then at immigration, I would have to declare that I am making my "landing", after which they will direct me to a separate immigration counter/office where I would need to present my CoPR, passport, proof of funds (if asked), and address declaration which would trigger the start of my PR Card processing. My main concerns are:
  • Because there are some posts I read wherein people warned the OP to not inform immigration that OP will just be doing a "soft" landing or else they will refuse to start the PR Card processing, but there are some posts I read wherein they actually did declare truthfully that they will be leaving in a week to immigration but immigration still processed them. So I'm not entirely sure what is the correct thing to do?
  • Because the time between when I make my landing and when I actually move is a little lengthy and I did read on one of the threads in this forum that they said it's not advisable to delay moving for too long, but I did read some threads where other people said it's OK, which is why I also wanted some clarification/advice on this. Like I mentioned, I wanted to be able to make sure that I settle all my pending commitments without rushing so that I'll be in a better condition when I move but if it's needed, I can rush things.
2. The CIC has sent me an email requesting for my passport in order to put a visa on it because I'll be coming from a non-visa exempt country, sorry. I forgot to delete this question, I typed it up when I saw someone mention needing an eTA and only after did I learn that it's only for people coming from a visa-exempt country. However, I actually have a multiple-entry tourist visa that is not yet expired. Can I use that to go into Canada or will they be cancelling this tourist visa since I'm technically not a tourist anymore?

3. This is a relief, haha... But do you think it's advisable for me to book a flight from Vancouver to Toronto just in case they ask me for proof that I'll be staying in Toronto? Or am I thinking too much? Because I don't really have plans of going to Toronto -- as I mentioned, my cousin is studying and living alone there and I'm not exactly sure what her living arrangements are and what her schedule is, so I don't want to bother her too much, as opposed to my friends in Vancouver whom have actually offered to show me around and stuff.

4. Speaking of SIN card and bank accounts, I just want to clarify. Because in my country, the bank branch where you open your account is considered as your "home" branch and for I don't know what purposes, they actually limit some transactions to only be possible in your "home" branch. Is there such same practice in Canada? Because if so, I'll need to consider more carefully whether I open an account or not during this trip.

Noted on 5 & 6!

Thank you again! :D

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wanted to discourage setting up any banking during soft landing. Least amount of ties is the best when you want to remain a PR but not a tax resident. No problem declaring that you are doing a soft landing. No issue either landing in BC but sending your PR card to Ontario.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
There's no such thing as a "soft landing". That's just a term of convenience used on the forum as shorthand for "I will land and leave and then come back later".

From CBSA's perspective, you are landing. Period. Full stop.

They don't care if you enter Canada, turn around and get on the next plane out. Their job is to verify your CoPR, ask you a few questions, and if everything is OK, allow you in as a PR.

The officer will ask for an address to send your PR card to. You give them that address. They aren't going to ask how long you're staying in Canada, and even if they do, it's more in the nature of an informal question. Legally, there's nothing stopping you from leaving on the next flight once you are a PR.

When it comes to not taking too long to move back after a soft landing, the reference is to Residency Obligations. As a PR of Canada, you have to spend 730 days in Canada in a five year period. If you land and then leave the next day, you have 3 years to come back. If you try coming back after three years (say in the fourth year), the CBSA officer will know that you cannot meet your RO, and may begin the process of revoking your PR.

As long as you come back with enough time to complete your 730 days, it's not an issue.

2. You cannot land on the tourist visa. Technically, you can enter on the tourist visa, but then you won't be landing as an immigrant. You will have to re-enter on the immigrant visa and go through the landing process. When you meet the first CBSA officer, you have to tell them you're landing as a permanent resident. They won't know unless you tell them - people have made this mistake in the past and not realized that they haven't actually landed.

3. CBSA doesn't care. Once you've landed as a PR, you have rights in Canada and that includes the right to live and work anywhere in Canada. This is not like arriving as a tourist, it's very different. There's absolutely no need to buy tickets for Toronto.

4. Not sure about this. As far as I know the big banks don't have home branch specific requirements, but it's more of a bank specific question. You don't have to open a bank account, but do make sure you get your SIN.

jlyang

Jul 13, 2018
There's no such thing as a "soft landing". That's just a term of convenience used on the forum as shorthand for "I will land and leave and then come back later".

From CBSA's perspective, you are landing. Period. Full stop.

They don't care if you enter Canada, turn around and get on the next plane out. Their job is to verify your CoPR, ask you a few questions, and if everything is OK, allow you in as a PR.

The officer will ask for an address to send your PR card to. You give them that address. They aren't going to ask how long you're staying in Canada, and even if they do, it's more in the nature of an informal question. Legally, there's nothing stopping you from leaving on the next flight once you are a PR.

When it comes to not taking too long to move back after a soft landing, the reference is to Residency Obligations. As a PR of Canada, you have to spend 730 days in Canada in a five year period. If you land and then leave the next day, you have 3 years to come back. If you try coming back after three years (say in the fourth year), the CBSA officer will know that you cannot meet your RO, and may begin the process of revoking your PR.

As long as you come back with enough time to complete your 730 days, it's not an issue.

2. You cannot land on the tourist visa. Technically, you can enter on the tourist visa, but then you won't be landing as an immigrant. You will have to re-enter on the immigrant visa and go through the landing process. When you meet the first CBSA officer, you have to tell them you're landing as a permanent resident. They won't know unless you tell them - people have made this mistake in the past and not realized that they haven't actually landed.

3. CBSA doesn't care. Once you've landed as a PR, you have rights in Canada and that includes the right to live and work anywhere in Canada. This is not like arriving as a tourist, it's very different. There's absolutely no need to buy tickets for Toronto.

4. Not sure about this. As far as I know the big banks don't have home branch specific requirements, but it's more of a bank specific question. You don't have to open a bank account, but do make sure you get your SIN.
Hi again, thank you so much for all your answers, you've been super helpful!

I see now the general picture of how the whole thing is viewed on legal terms -- which is a huge relief. I guess because where I'm from, it's usually the norm to be given the third degree, even if what you are doing is totally OK to do so, so I got used to having to make sure to prepare myself for everything that they may ask prior.

I just have 1 last question. For #2 -- because as I understand, the visa that they will be giving me is a Single-entry visa for me to do my formal landing. Since I'll be leaving a week after (although I will probably have my PR Card by the time I go back because of what I had arranged with my cousin but just in case), if in an emergency, I would need to return to Canada, will I be able to still use my Tourist visa to enter? Or after landing as an immigrant, there is already no way to use my Tourist visa anymore and I'll have to process a PRTD in order to go back?

Thank you again so much!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi again, thank you so much for all your answers, you've been super helpful!

I see now the general picture of how the whole thing is viewed on legal terms -- which is a huge relief. I guess because where I'm from, it's usually the norm to be given the third degree, even if what you are doing is totally OK to do so, so I got used to having to make sure to prepare myself for everything that they may ask prior.

I just have 1 last question. For #2 -- because as I understand, the visa that they will be giving me is a Single-entry visa for me to do my formal landing. Since I'll be leaving a week after (although I will probably have my PR Card by the time I go back because of what I had arranged with my cousin but just in case), if in an emergency, I would need to return to Canada, will I be able to still use my Tourist visa to enter? Or after landing as an immigrant, there is already no way to use my Tourist visa anymore and I'll have to process a PRTD in order to go back?

Thank you again so much!
No once you land your TRV should get cancelled. You should either need a PRTD or you could get your family member to courier your PR to you. That is easier than PRTD in my opinion. PR cards seem to be processed pretty quickly these days. Around 3 weeks,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Because there are some posts I read wherein people warned the OP to not inform immigration that OP will just be doing a "soft" landing or else they will refuse to start the PR Card processing, but there are some posts I read wherein they actually did declare truthfully that they will be leaving in a week to immigration but immigration still processed them. So I'm not entirely sure what is the correct thing to do?
The correct thing is to not lie. This depends on the officer. If they know that you are not planning to stay and the address you are giving is someone else's, they could choose not start the PR card process. They would provide you with the information to update IRCC with your address when you return to Canada to actually live.

jlyang

Jul 13, 2018
No once you land your TRV should get cancelled. You should either need a PRTD or you could get your family member to courier your PR to you. That is easier than PRTD in my opinion. PR cards seem to be processed pretty quickly these days. Around 3 weeks,
Noted, thanks! :)

jlyang

Jul 13, 2018
The correct thing is to not lie. This depends on the officer. If they know that you are not planning to stay and the address you are giving is someone else's, they could choose not start the PR card process. They would provide you with the information to update IRCC with your address when you return to Canada to actually live.
Alright, but how often does this happen? Like, what's the estimated likelihood that they'll ask me these questions?

jlyang

Jul 13, 2018
Happens often enough.
Sorry for the late reply, I did not realize I did not get to say thanks for your input. I'll take everyone's comments into consideration and just hope that, even if they do ask and I tell them the truth, they'll allow me to still start the PR card processing.

Thanks!