+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some questions before we hand in our application...

bebo-18

Mar 14, 2018
Hi there! I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Concerning OWP:

1. I have read that when an OWP application is received, the applicant is under "implied status". Does "received" mean when the department receives our application per the tracking number OR is it when they send us an acknowledgement of receipt after 3-4 weeks of sending in our application?

2. Does anyone know of someone who received an OWP while also working illegally? My partner made this mistake for his first few years here. Afterward, I made it clear he was no longer to do that. I've been supporting us so far but it would be a tremendous relief if he could still get an OWP.

3. On the checklist for the OWP, it says to include an immigration document if you have one. Does this include the ETA? Its a visitor visa in a way so I'm not sure if it falls under "immigration" document.

4. On the actual OWP application (IMM 5710) it asks the place of entry to Canada. Is this the city (e.g. Toronto) or airport (e.g. Toronto Pearson International Airport)?

5. I was looking at the instructions to pay the fees and I read somewhere that to pay the open work permit fee, there is a "optional documents" box we need to check on the checklist. I can't find this anywhere. Can anyone clarify how they did this? I paid two different fees totalling $255, one for work permit and one for open work permit.

IMM 5532:
For the place of birth for relatives living in Canada, is the country sufficient? Or do they want the city as well?

Original Letter of Employment:
My letter does not indicate my hours because they are always in flux and I'm paid a fixed salary. Does anyone know if this is okay?

Notice of Assessment:
My notice of assessment was issued before my status was changed to married. Will they request another notice of assessment?

I know I have a bunch of questions so thank you for reading! This forum has been way more helpful than any legal professional.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
1.) If submitted inland spousal sponsorship with OWP.....you will have implied status only if when the OWP application was received you had a valid status like visitor visa status, PGWP, etc......if you are out-of-status, the OWP will not be approved......spousal sponsorship will still be processed regardless of status.

2.) If submitted inland spousal sponsorship with OWP...... the OWP will not be approved, if you are out-of-status.

3.) immigration documents, e.g.,...visitor visa or visa exempt, work permit, PR Card, COPR, etc.

4.) The city, airport, land border crossing where you first enter Canada.

5.) inland spousal sponsorship with OWP requires $255 fees ($155 + $100).

6.) IMM5532 - City, Country preferred.

7.) Original Letter of Employment - Its okay.

8.) Notice of Assessment - submit the most recent NOA (2017 NOA) regardless of when status was changed.

bebo-18

Mar 14, 2018
Thanks for the response! He's actually in status as a visitor. He worked illegally when he visited a few years ago for his uncle.