+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some questions after soft-landing

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
Last week, I landed in Vancouver via flight from Europe. The landing process is very smooth and I stayed in Vancouver for only 4 days.

However, there are some things I would love to ask for your opinions

1. The immigration officer, as expected, asked me required questions such as criminal history and if I have been ordered to leave the country before and I said no to these. However, she seemed forgot to ask me for the B4 and B4A forms. When I showed her the filled forms, she replied "Oh, I nearly forgot these....." :eek: I told her I did not ship anything to Canada and I have everything carried with me. Then she said I did not need those forms. I also told her this landing is just a short stay like 4 days. She asked me if I am going to ship anything to Canada in the future and I also said no. Then she said I do not need any B4 and B4A forms. This seems different from what I have learnt, did the officer make a mistake here?

2. As mentioned above, I told the officer this is just a short stay. The officer is concerned with the PR card process which needs couple of months to be ready. She then asked me if I have any friends/relatives here in Canada for their address. I said no (because at the time of landing I did not ask my friends in Canada yet if they are willing to help). I think the officer is implying here that the card can be mailed to someone in Canada then re-mailed to me in Europe. Is this way of getting PR card acceptable?

3. I finally managed to have someone willing to help. He is in Toronto. I tried to change the address online but failed (system shows no my record). Then I filled in the Web Form. I notice it is possible to link the PR card application with Express Entry profile, does anyone know if this is a good thing to do?

Many thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1. Yes, the officer was in the right. If you're not bringing/shipping anything, you do not need the custms forms. (You will need them in future if you wish to ship things - but if you do, it doesn't go to immigration but to customs officers, i.e. after collecting baggage)

2. Perfectly normal.

3. Don't know.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Last week, I landed in Vancouver via flight from Europe. The landing process is very smooth and I stayed in Vancouver for only 4 days.

However, there are some things I would love to ask for your opinions

1. The immigration officer, as expected, asked me required questions such as criminal history and if I have been ordered to leave the country before and I said no to these. However, she seemed forgot to ask me for the B4 and B4A forms. When I showed her the filled forms, she replied "Oh, I nearly forgot these....." :eek: I told her I did not ship anything to Canada and I have everything carried with me. Then she said I did not need those forms. I also told her this landing is just a short stay like 4 days. She asked me if I am going to ship anything to Canada in the future and I also said no. Then she said I do not need any B4 and B4A forms. This seems different from what I have learnt, did the officer make a mistake here?

2. As mentioned above, I told the officer this is just a short stay. The officer is concerned with the PR card process which needs couple of months to be ready. She then asked me if I have any friends/relatives here in Canada for their address. I said no (because at the time of landing I did not ask my friends in Canada yet if they are willing to help). I think the officer is implying here that the card can be mailed to someone in Canada then re-mailed to me in Europe. Is this way of getting PR card acceptable?

3. I finally managed to have someone willing to help. He is in Toronto. I tried to change the address online but failed (system shows no my record). Then I filled in the Web Form. I notice it is possible to link the PR card application with Express Entry profile, does anyone know if this is a good thing to do?

Many thanks
2. Legal yes but whether the officer is willing to send it to a friend or family me,ber is another story. Many seem to by ok with doing it but you do run into some officers who refuse if they know this is just a short landing and especially if you don’t have concrete plans in place for your return to Canada.

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
2. Legal yes but whether the officer is willing to send it to a friend or family me,ber is another story. Many seem to by ok with doing it but you do run into some officers who refuse if they know this is just a short landing and especially if you don’t have concrete plans in place for your return to Canada.
So, suppose I got the card from my friend, should I be worried if I use that PR card to enter Canada next year?