+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some questions about Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)

James Lyrie-Stewart

Star Member
Jan 13, 2013
I have just got the Canada student visa (S-1), but im not a university student - im a high school student. I will mostly travel in Toronto by subway. Could anyone tell me the fare of subway? Can i have some discount with my student visa? I have never been to Canada so I have no idea how does the TTC work. :-[

A million thanks! :)

trainspotting

Jul 8, 2012
@ James L S

$3 is the standard pricing in general for a ride (including transfer to/from streetcar/bus), within the TTC system, regardless of distance travelled. But you can get a ride for less than $3 if you get tokens in bulk. Also, since you are a student, you can get discounted pricing -- but it is not by much.

The REAL issue is not really the price -- but whether you can handle traveling in the TTC -- perhaps it can be said that it is a hotbed of passive aggressive/anti social behavior in Toronto.

In a sense, the point here is that one has to factor in the additional cost of having to experience and endure the shocking behavior of some and also having to witness how badly some treat one another. When you factor such additional cost in, the REAL cost of a ride on the TTC is way higher than just $3.

Your chances of being able to avoid unpleasant experiences on the TTC is virtually zero if you use it too often.

shortymac

Feb 22, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - CPP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 7th, 2013
Nomination.....
Stephanie McNamara
AOR Received.
Feb 13th, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 20th, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 5th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 28th, 2013
LANDED..........
August 29th, 2013
I've lived in Toronto for the past few years, here's my take on the TTC.

If you live near the subway it isn't so bad, however you should plan your home near an easy route to take for your work/school. Keep your route to the least amount of transfers possible.

Also trying to go anywhere outside of the subway, it can be a big pain in the butt and sometimes it's just quicker to take a taxi.