+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

some question about work permit for spouse when I got the CSQ & PMI+

betterbetter

Star Member
Feb 6, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I have some questions regarding PMI+ and Open Work Permit application that I would like to ask. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me answer:

If I obtain a CSQ (Certificat de sélection du Québec) through QSWP and receive aninvitation for PMI +, but my spouse did not apply for CSQ, we are living outside of Canada now and hope to integrate to Quebec as early as possible.

1. My question is, in this situation, can I apply for an open work permit for my spouse as well?

I would like to bring her along to live in Quebec and experience the place for a certain period of time. If she has a work permit, she can also have a deeper immersion in Quebec society.

Below 2 links to the policies have some conflicts that confuse me:

Links to policies that spouse can not apply fow a OWP

Links to policies that spouse can apply for a OWP

2. If it's not possible to apply for a work permit for her, can I apply for a visitor visa on her behalf? Of course, a work permit would be the ideal option.

3. I have tried IRCC Portal and IRCC GCKey, but I couldn't find the work permit application within the IRCC Portal. It's strange because I thought both systems were running in parallel. So, if my CSQ is approved later and I receive an invitation for PMI+, which system should I use to apply for my PMI+ work permit?

I appreciate someone can give me some professional explanation and help ,

Thanks!

Buta55

Jul 19, 2023
Hi, here’s my case for your question.
I got CSQ and applied for IMP+ in May. I got married in June and updated spouse status on Arrima. My wife sent documents and obtained CSQ in Aug. She only can apply for OWP after I obtain it (IMP+)
I think you should get CSQ for your spouse first. (I’m not fully well-understanding so don’t take it seriously)
We’re still confused that since we got married after I had applied for PR. Do I have to re-apply for PR bc of the status changing on my CSQ? And my wife can apply for PR since she got CSQ?
Please let me know if you know any information about this.

betterbetter

Star Member
Feb 6, 2023
Hi Buta55,

Thanks for your sharing!

Actually, that's the same question in my another thread, I am so confused and have no clear idea so far.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/a-question-about-whether-the-whole-family-can-apply-for-pr-after-obtaining-csq.821133/

Why in other provinces, if one person in the family obtains a PNP, he can apply for PR not only for himself, but also for his spouse and the whole family,
But for QSWP in Quebec, one person in the family who gets a CSQ can only apply for PR for this one person, not the whole family.
In fact, according to the current QSWP policy, if one person in a family obtains CSQ, then that person will be able to apply for PR, and when his PR is approved, his spouse can apply for PR through spousal reunification. However, from this point of view, it seems redundant and causes inconvenience to the applicant. I don't think Quebec MIFI would deliberately make such an inconvenient policy.