+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some one is holding on to my passport for money.... what are my options ? Please help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I did apply for work permit and to extend my stay in Canada so that I could work and pay her and get my stuff but since she has all my documents in her house my file was incomplete and resulted in a refusal. All this happend in January.Since than I am just trying to figure out how to deal with this. I called 911 in January when all of this started but they wouldn’t do anything as it is a civil case.

I do have a ticket as I had originally booked it to go home and since than I am just extending the flight.I can’t work i have no money I am literally sleeping on peoples couches or spending nights at McDonald’s or Tim Horton’s.I just don’t know how to handle this
As already explained, you need to seek assistance from your country to leave Canada.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Personally, your status has long expired, so that horse has left the stable. I’d go to CBSA and explain you are trying to leave but don’t have the documentation. CBSA is equipped to assist you in obtaining travel documents to leave and they will probably me more than happy to assist you.

Alisha8055

Jun 25, 2019
Personally, your status has long expired, so that horse has left the stable. I’d go to CBSA and explain you are trying to leave but don’t have the documentation. CBSA is equipped to assist you in obtaining travel documents to leave and they will probably me more than happy to assist you.
Thank you so much !!!

I will work on this right away as I feel this is my best option.I am a little scared but I feel they would understand.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
The Indian consulate has the authority to issue a temporary passport (Emergency Travel Document) that will let you fly back. You are an Indian citizen and you have a right to get this - they will not care about your lack of status in Canada or anything like that. You just have to be able to prove your Indian citizenship.

http://www.cgichicago.gov.in/page/display/88/17 (The rules are the same in Canada).

CBSA may be able to help facilitate this as well.

Alisha8055

Jun 25, 2019
The Indian consulate has the authority to issue a temporary passport (Emergency Travel Document) that will let you fly back. You are an Indian citizen and you have a right to get this - they will not care about your lack of status in Canada or anything like that. You just have to be able to prove your Indian citizenship.

http://www.cgichicago.gov.in/page/display/88/17 (The rules are the same in Canada).

CBSA may be able to help facilitate this as well.
Thank you so much !!! Would you suggest that I launch a formal complaint regarding lost/stolen passport and after go the Indian consulate and at the same time let the CBSA know my plan of action ?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you so much !!! Would you suggest that I launch a formal complaint regarding lost/stolen passport and after go the Indian consulate and at the same time let the CBSA know my plan of action ?
To get the emergency travel document, the embassy will usually ask for a copy of the police report, so yes, you will need to go to the police first. You don't necessarily need to go to CBSA; if the Indian embassy gives you the document with the police report and after verifying that you're a citizen, you can just leave Canada on the next flight.

Reactions: Buletruck

Alisha8055

Jun 25, 2019
To get the emergency travel document, the embassy will usually ask for a copy of the police report, so yes, you will need to go to the police first. You don't necessarily need to go to CBSA; if the Indian embassy gives you the document with the police report and after verifying that you're a citizen, you can just leave Canada on the next flight.
THANKYOU SO MUCH !!!!
I will go and file a report tomorrow it self and get to the consulate to get the document.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I am in a bit of a situation and would be great full for some sort of advice. Last July my roommate locked me out for non payment of rent and has all my stuff,official documents and passport and refuses to give it back to me untill I pay. I do not have a work permit and can not work.my legal status has expired and I have to leave the country so that I can rectify my situation but she refuses to talk ( she has blocked me on all channels) I want to pay her but for that I have to leave the country.I do not want a deportation order as I have worked hard to reach to a point where I can apply for immigration.I have had to change my flights multiple times just so I can get to her in some sort of way to get my passport back.
If anyone has any sort of advice for me that would help me a lot.At this point I am almost 6 months with out status. Will the Canadian immigration help ?

Thank you
Holding onto someone's passport and not giving back is a criminal offence in most jurisdictions. CONTACT THE POLICE.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
If you are an Indian citizen send a tweet to the Minister of External Affairs - Subramaniam Jaishankar, the Indian Embassy and Consultancy will get involved to help you out.

shiv__22

Jan 6, 2019
Something's not adding up here. Are you out of status in Canada? Are you trying to apply for a work permit? The cops don't give a flying f about your roommate situation and will honestly do nothing. If your objective is to get back to India asap, you need to contact the Indian embassy and they will help you get a temporary passport and you fly back home. You will have to come up with money for a flight ticket unless CIC is deporting you and then Canada pays for your air ticket. Did your roommate ever ask you to not bother him/her? If they did and you still try to contact them, you could just be digging a deeper hole. As scylla said, your better off moving on and getting a new passport. Good luck and hopefully things get better for you soon.
Could this person be out of status.might have been denied extension of visa and is fishing to find out if caught if they can use this excuse that someone is holding on to their passport why they cant leave. When you call police about anything they always refer you to people that can help the situation..they would have gone to address/place of employment of accused..as its theft passport