+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some doubts before travelling to Canada

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for reply but read .. it states includes monetary.. so confused as 50 percent are saying only cash n other are saying both..
You need to declare, if monetary instruments exceed $10k. There’s no problem to declare and sometime they dont ask you anything after you declare

Reactions: SidhuSD

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thanks.. if I'm carrying my bank statement or draft which is already more than $10,000 plus cash .. explain me here .. is draft and cash make it total that I have to declare ? Or if to avoid this what to do ? plz explain ..
Bank drafts are monetary instruments. Bank statements are not. If the combination of your draft and cash exceeds $10k, you should declare. There's no issue at all with declaring - you simply just tick a box to indicate you are bringing in more than 10k.

Reactions: YVR123 and SidhuSD

SidhuSD

Aug 21, 2021
Category........
Other
Just declare if you have over 10k. What's so difficult about it?
That's easy .. but issue is rule ..what are you all reading? I mean to say there shd be clarity of rule and inclusions and no one has replied what is an exact answer .. Also, if one is only
Bank drafts are monetary instruments. Bank statements are not. If the combination of your draft and cash exceeds $10k, you should declare. There's no issue at all with declaring - you simply just tick a box to indicate you are bringing in more than 10k.
Right.. only you have understood my query .. well clarified .. now what was my other consideration that; proof of funds - shd bank certificate plus statement only be enough or draft is mandatory as many have written that we need to carry all three including draft .. Thanks for reply and do reply this other query ..really grateful.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
That's easy .. but issue is rule ..what are you all reading? I mean to say there shd be clarity of rule and inclusions and no one has replied what is an exact answer .. Also, if one is only

Right.. only you have understood my query .. well clarified .. now what was my other consideration that; proof of funds - shd bank certificate plus statement only be enough or draft is mandatory as many have written that we need to carry all three including draft .. Thanks for reply and do reply this other query ..really grateful.
Bank statement that is stamped and verified by your bank is sufficient proof of funds. Bank drafts are not necessary at all.

SidhuSD

Aug 21, 2021
Category........
Other
Bank statement that is stamped and verified by your bank is sufficient proof of funds. Bank drafts are not necessary at all.
Ohhh right ..actually people who have reached are writing in groups n vlogs n all other platforms that draft is mandatory as it will be easy to show as converted currency proof and required there after ..

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Hi,

I apologise if this is a irrelevant. I have also put this query in Work Permit section but did not get any answer.

I would like to know about the withdrawal of money that we deposit in our bank account to prepare bank statement for work permit application (proof of funds)

At what stage we are able to withraw it and how much amount (partially or whole)?

i.e
After the bank statement is submitted to IRCC or
After the application is approved or
After we arrive in Canada?

SidhuSD

Aug 21, 2021
Category........
Other
Hi,

I apologise if this is a irrelevant. I have also put this query in Work Permit section but did not get any answer.

I would like to know about the withdrawal of money that we deposit in our bank account to prepare bank statement for work permit application (proof of funds)

At what stage we are able to withraw it and how much amount (partially or whole)?

i.e
After the bank statement is submitted to IRCC or
After the application is approved or
After we arrive in Canada?
I guess we shouldn't touch it ideally till we reach..

Reactions: powereng1982

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Ohhh right ..actually people who have reached are writing in groups n vlogs n all other platforms that draft is mandatory as it will be easy to show as converted currency proof and required there after ..
Maybe for people from certain regions/countries but not for everyone. I don't know anyone in my circle who still uses bank drafts. For my proof of funds, I had only my bank statements, and Forex cards (prepaid) receipts. I didn't bring much cash at all (only USD$600). I was not questioned at all regarding my funds.

If people from your country who have travelled believe it's best for you to have bank drafts, perhaps you should heed their advice as our experiences differ.

SidhuSD

Aug 21, 2021
Category........
Other
Maybe for people from certain regions/countries but not for everyone. I don't know anyone in my circle who still uses bank drafts. For my proof of funds, I had only my bank statements, and Forex cards (prepaid) receipts. I didn't bring much cash at all (only USD$600). I was not questioned at all regarding my funds.

If people from your country who have travelled believe it's best for you to have bank drafts, perhaps you should heed their advice as our experiences differ.
Yesss well fed information.. agree .. draft is only a converted proof I guess and not a requirement. If I have cash with receipt..it is OK to go .. yes, may be ppl from India do carry drafts ..

SidhuSD

Aug 21, 2021
Category........
Other
I was quite confused about this aspect. I brought it 5x that amount but on prepaid cards (actual cash was just about $700USD). I indicated on the digital form (those machines that you complete your details on at the YYZ) that I came in with more than $10k and that was it. It didn't ask in what form the money was in or anything like that. Also, no one asked me to show them the money or cards or even asked me about how much money I brought. The only thing they were concerned about was whether I had raw meat or dairy products in my luggages.

I'm worried now about depositing the money in my newly opened account cos I didn't really get a chance to "declare" it upon entry :) .
5x plus $700 Usd .. how you had more than $10,000?

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021

The rule is simple, if you're bringing in more than 10k cad, you declare it at the customs. I don't see what's so hard for you to get

More than 10k = declare

Less than 10k = no need to declare

SidhuSD

Aug 21, 2021
Category........
Other
The rule is simple, if you're bringing in more than 10k cad, you declare it at the customs. I don't see what's so hard for you to get

More than 10k = declare

Less than 10k = no need to declare
No , that's not my query .. thanks ..

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
No , that's not my query .. thanks ..
No is this exactly what you asked

Thanks.. if I'm carrying my bank statement or draft which is already more than $10,000 plus cash .. explain me here .. is draft and cash make it total that I have to declare ? Or if to avoid this what to do ? plz explain ..
If more than 10k, you need to declare. Are you trying to avoid declaring? If you do not declare it , Canadian customs can seize your money for criminal investigations.

SidhuSD

Aug 21, 2021
Category........
Other
No is this exactly what you asked

If more than 10k, you need to declare. Are you trying to avoid declaring? If you do not declare it , Canadian customs can seize your money for criminal investigations.
Why would I avoid .. how can one avoid? Why would I even want to think that? .. Really which of my word made you think so .. it's so disturbing.. let's close the query here ..