+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some doubts before travelling to Canada

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Hi friends.

After a few months of planning, I'm finally travelling to Canada next Monday. I still have some doubts about certain topics I hope you can help me with.

1. I've always heard you can travel with up to $10K in cash. If I travel to Canada, this applies as 10K CAD (which is a little bit less than 8K USD) or it still counts as 10K USD (about 12.6K CAD)?
2. Following up the previous question, if I travel with my wife, would it be $10K for both ($5K each) or $10K each?
3. My COVID test must be in English? I'll take the test on Saturday morning, get the results that same afternoon and I would only have Sunday to find a translator to translate it from Spanish to English. My flight leaves at 6 am on Monday.
4. How long does it normally takes to get all the paperwork at the airport like study permit and work permit for student and wife? We arrive at 3 pm at Toronto Pearson YYZ.

I guess that's it for now :rolleyes:. I'll appreciate your comments.

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi friends.

After a few months of planning, I'm finally travelling to Canada next Monday. I still have some doubts about certain topics I hope you can help me with.

1. I've always heard you can travel with up to $10K in cash. If I travel to Canada, this applies as 10K CAD (which is a little bit less than 8K USD) or it still counts as 10K USD (about 12.6K CAD)?
2. Following up the previous question, if I travel with my wife, would it be $10K for both ($5K each) or $10K each?
3. My COVID test must be in English? I'll take the test on Saturday morning, get the results that same afternoon and I would only have Sunday to find a translator to translate it from Spanish to English. My flight leaves at 6 am on Monday.
4. How long does it normally takes to get all the paperwork at the airport like study permit and work permit for student and wife? We arrive at 3 pm at Toronto Pearson YYZ.

I guess that's it for now :rolleyes:. I'll appreciate your comments.
1. $10K CAD. Conversion rate will be applied.
2. $10K for each traveller.
3. It has to be in English or French.
4. Pre-COVID times, it used to take around an hour depending on the queue. Now, the duration varies a lot. Please keep at least 3-4 hours layover time, if you are taking a connection flight.

Reactions: andrews17

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
10K is NOT the limit. If you bring 10K or more in cash, you need to declare it. Just have document to show where the money came from.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
1. $10K CAD. Conversion rate will be applied.
2. $10K for each traveller.
3. It has to be in English or French.
4. Pre-COVID times, it used to take around an hour depending on the queue. Now, the duration varies a lot. Please keep at least 3-4 hours layover time, if you are taking a connection flight.
1 and 2 is correct provided he is not declaring. But if he does, she can bring more than that. 3 if there is scanning code, you don't have to translate. If there isn't, you can bring in Spanish, incase of any doubt, they have Officers/ personnel fluent in Spanish.

Catmom

May 28, 2020
1 and 2 is correct provided he is not declaring. But if he does, she can bring more than that. 3 if there is scanning code, you don't have to translate. If there isn't, you can bring in Spanish, incase of any doubt, they have Officers/ personnel fluent in Spanish.
I am also planning to bring around 10K but not more than that. I can just walk out of the airport without declaring, right?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I am also planning to bring around 10K but not more than that. I can just walk out of the airport without declaring, right?
CAN $9,999 and below you walk out of the airport without declaring. Below is the CBSA guideline

Anytime you cross the border, you must declare any currency or monetary instruments you have valued at Can$10,000 or more. This amount includes Canadian or foreign currency or a combination of both

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
CAN $9,999 and below you walk out of the airport without declaring. Below is the CBSA guideline

Anytime you cross the border, you must declare any currency or monetary instruments you have valued at Can$10,000 or more. This amount includes Canadian or foreign currency or a combination of both
I was quite confused about this aspect. I brought it 5x that amount but on prepaid cards (actual cash was just about $700USD). I indicated on the digital form (those machines that you complete your details on at the YYZ) that I came in with more than $10k and that was it. It didn't ask in what form the money was in or anything like that. Also, no one asked me to show them the money or cards or even asked me about how much money I brought. The only thing they were concerned about was whether I had raw meat or dairy products in my luggages.

I'm worried now about depositing the money in my newly opened account cos I didn't really get a chance to "declare" it upon entry :) .

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I was quite confused about this aspect. I brought it 5x that amount but on prepaid cards (actual cash was just about $700USD). I indicated on the digital form (those machines that you complete your details on at the YYZ) that I came in with more than $10k and that was it. It didn't ask in what form the money was in or anything like that. Also, no one asked me to show them the money or cards or even asked me about how much money I brought. The only thing they were concerned about was whether I had raw meat or dairy products in my luggages.

I'm worried now about depositing the money in my newly opened account cos I didn't really get a chance to "declare" it upon entry :) .
You can deposit into your bank account. If there’s any issue it’ll be with FINTRAC but provided they are legit and came from legit source, you should be okey to offer explanation.

FINTRAC requires all deposit taking institutions to report transaction from $10,000 deposited in cash whether as single transaction or multiple in a day.

Last edited:

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Thanks for all your replies. We finally decided to bring just a bit less than 10K CAD. We have documentation to declare more, but we don't want to do it as I've heard this can sometimes be a struggle.

I finally found a lab in my home country that gives us our COVID test results in English for a few extra bucks.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Why bring money in cash anyway? I never understood this way of thinking..Put it on your bank or credit card. Or even leave in your account and go to an ATM whenever you need cash. I never ever have cash in my pocket wherever I go.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Another question.

Any health insurance you can recommend? I am planning to pay one month of health insurance for me and my wife while we get our insurance through the college.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Why bring money in cash anyway? I never understood this way of thinking..Put it on your bank or credit card. Or even leave in your account and go to an ATM whenever you need cash. I never ever have cash in my pocket wherever I go.
I'm also bringing debit card to withdraw cash, but I'm taking some for renting as I've read several comments that you may need to pay about six months in advance for a place because you don't have a work reference or credit score.

Catmom

May 28, 2020

Okay cool. Thanks :)

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Clearly you are not aware of the hefty international transaction charges you pay per withdrawal at ATM when used abroad. The amount quickly adds up.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
You can deposit into your bank account. If there’s any issue it’ll be with FINTRAC but provided they are legit and came from legit source, you should be okey to offer explanation.

FINTRAC requires all deposit taking institutions to report transaction from $10,000 deposited in cash whether as single transaction or multiple in a day.
It's legit alright :), I have the forex receipts and everything so I should be fine I guess. Thanks!