+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some Confusions..Pls Clarify

imranali_2004us

Star Member
Jan 14, 2009
-I am a Canadian PR and about to apply for Canadian Citizenship(have completed the Residency Obligations of 3 years),now I might be moving abroad for few years,my question is :

1> If a child is born to Canadian PR while the citizenship application is in process,I know that he can not become a Canadian Citizen but at later time when I am gonna naturalized and become a Canadian Citizen,is my child who is already born gonna get the canadian citizenship since he is the child of a Canadian Father?

2>Once I apply for Canadian Citizenship,do I have to come back to canada before 6 months are elapsed according to the PR regulations? or I can stay abroad as long as I want and there is no restriction! since I am still gonna be a Canadian PR..

Pls guide me through all these confusions..I will really grateful

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Will not be Canadian if birth (outside Canada) is before you are Canadian. You have to apply for citizenship of the child after birth. To avoid this child should be born in Canada.

2. You must be a PR at oath date with no inadmissibility issues so not reported for breach of PR, criminal record, probation etc. Due to current lengthy citizenship processing times especially if you get an RQ or referred to the Citizenship Judge many applicants who leave Canada for extended periods are at a great risk of breaching the Residency Obligation and loss of PR. No PR no Citizenship. You must also be able to travel back to Canada sometimes at very short notice for the test and/ or oath...you better make sure you have a reliable person checking your mail!!!