+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some advice for PR after study. 1 vs 2 years

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
We are bringing my brother in law here to study and have a job already lined up for him where they are willing to hire him after he studies here. our ultimate goal is to have him receive his PR after it all.

A few questions.

for study, If he comes for 1 year of study only and then gets hired by my contact right as he gets his PGWP, will he have enough time to get the 1 year experience for PR?

I realize that the safest way to get PR after is to come for 2 years of study and then get a 2-3 year PGWP. but if we have a job lined up already, is it safe to bring him here for only 1 year.

Last edited:
Reactions: wonderbly

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We are bringing my brother in law here to study and have a job already lined up for him where they are willing to hire him after he studies here. our ultimate goal is to have him receive his PR after it all.

A few questions.

for study, If he comes for 1 year of study only and then gets hired by my contact right as he gets his PGWP, will he have enough time to get the 1 year experience for PR?

I realize that the safest way to get PR after is to come for 2 years of study and then get a 2-3 year PGWP. but if we have a job lined up already, is it safe to bring him here for only 1 year.
Everyone here will tell you to go for a 2 year program. 1 year is not safe even if you have a job lined up. Lots of people run out of time to be selected for PR with only a 1 year PGWP. A 1 year program is extremely risky if someone's aim is PR.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

A few questions.

Definitely better to go with a 2 year program but I guess 1 year is doable if the job is ready-made. You need to remember it must be a NOC 0, A or B job. There is also going to be NOC reclassification coming in 2022 and some NOC B job groups are expected to be bumped down to NOC C by the looks of it.

Reactions: joeythecat

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
1 year is definitely possible if it's a Manitoba college or university because of their PNP (only 6 months job experience required last time I checked).