+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Softlanding via Land in Year 2021

yamakart

Mar 16, 2019
Has anybody recently activated their PRs through Land Border crossings. I am planning to perform a soft landing via Peace Bride in March. Any suggestions on restrictions will be a great help. Thanks

Milehighguy

Feb 19, 2020
I am on the same boat. I have expired CoPR and I recently got a document from IRCC with travel exemption. I am planning to visit Canada for about 20 days and come back. Please share the quarantine rules and declarations that needs to be done before entering.Also, I am planning to travel via road from Washington State.

dvkh

Jun 2, 2019
Hello everyone, what visa are you guys on in the US? I have an F1 visa and my permanent application was approved last May (though no COPR was issued due to Covid). Do you guys know if I'm exempted from the travel restrictions?

yamakart

Mar 16, 2019
Guys, is this allowed? because the canadian immigration website mentions that we have to move permanently. just thinking if it would create a problem later on.

J8ballo$

Mar 11, 2021
Guys, is this allowed? because the canadian immigration website mentions that we have to move permanently. just thinking if it would create a problem later on.
I did my soft landing yesterday at Ambassador bridge and was able to return to US after 30 mins.

You will be asked the following
1. PCR test - I bring my PCR test (negative result)
2. Quarantine Plans - I booked Airbnb for 14 days with option for cancellation. I told the officer that i have Airbnb booking but I will appreciate if i will be allowed to make a U-turn after confirming my COPR and will save some dollar.

In the office, again I was asked if I moving today and answered that Im going back to US after my confirmation.
After 15 mins, signed the 2 copies of PCR infront of the officer, and told to provide Canada address in myCIC to mail my PR card in the next 180 days. Cancelled my Airbnb booking (thru app) and drove back to Ambassador bridge.

On the US side, I was asked how long Im out for the US (30-45 mins only). I explained that i did my landing for my PR in Canada, and the typical questions on alcohol and tobacco,etc.

yamakart

Mar 16, 2019
I did my soft landing yesterday at Ambassador bridge and was able to return to US after 30 mins.

2. Quarantine Plans - I booked Airbnb for 14 days with option for cancellation. I told the officer that i have Airbnb booking but I will appreciate if i will be allowed to make a U-turn after confirming my COPR and will save some dollar.

In the office, again I was asked if I moving today and answered that Im going back to US after my confirmation.
After 15 mins, signed the 2 copies of PCR infront of the officer, and told to provide Canada address in myCIC to mail my PR card in the next 180 days. Cancelled my Airbnb booking (thru app) and drove back to Ambassador bridge.

On the US side, I was asked how long Im out for the US (30-45 mins only). I explained that i did my landing for my PR in Canada, and the typical questions on alcohol and tobacco,etc.
Its really relieving to read this reply. Could you please help me with below queries:

1. Didn't they ask why you are returning?
2. What did you exactly explain them that you made the process so smooth?
3. Would they accept if i Straightforward tell them I am retuning immediately or you came up with a story?
4. Did you choose that border because you heard it was easy, or it was just close to you?
5. Could you please let me know your COPR expiry Date?
6. PCR test 72 hours from the test date, or after the result date?

Thanks so much in advance for your replies.

Thanks

Last edited:

J8ballo$

Mar 11, 2021
Its really relieving to read this reply. Could you please help me with below queries:

1. Didn't they ask why you are returning?
- Yes, I just answered that Im not moving to Canada as of this time.
2. What did you exactly explain them that you made the process so smooth?
Not too much explanation, just straightforward to them.
3. Would they accept if i Straightforward tell them I am retuning immediately or you came up with a story?
I suggest be straightforward. It works for me, hopefully will work for you as well.

4. Did you choose that border because you heard it was easy, or it was just close to you?
I choose the Ambassador bridge because that the nearest from my place and booked the Airbnb place in Canada just 45 mins from the border.
Also, i read from one of the topics in this forum about somebody using the Detroit tunnel but denied to make a U turn.

Based on my experience just answer truthfully their questions and i think they are considerate and understand the situation.

Oh, did i mentioned that I have with me my 2 dogs! to accompany me incase i will be in quarantined

Hope this will help and goodluck.

Thanks

kadkhiq81

May 10, 2017

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and we did the exact at Ambassador Bridge today.

CoPR Successfully signed and became a PR today buttold to provide Canada address in myCIC to mail my PR card in the next 180 days like they mentioned for you.
Were you able to provide the address in myCIC portal? Could you please help
Me with the process?

mnsan81

Feb 28, 2021
Hi All,

Please help me on below questions : I am planning to cross Peace Bridge in 3rd week of May 2021.

1. PCR test is required for soft landing or come back on same day to USA?
2. Quarantine plan is required if i plan to return on same day?
3. PCR test is required while coming back from canada to usa by land in peace bridge?
4. can i travel on Saturday for COPR verification?
5. document checklist for COPR verification by land travel

Thanks in advance!
Thanks.

Last edited:

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
Hi All,

Please help me on below questions : I am planning to cross Peace Bridge in 3rd week of May 2021.

1. PCR test is required for soft landing or come back on same day to USA?
2. Quarantine plan is required if i plan to return on same day?
3. PCR test is required while coming back from canada to usa by land in peace bridge?
4. can i travel on Saturday for COPR verification?
5. document checklist for COPR verification by land travel

Thanks in advance!
Thanks.
Hi all can someone please list down the checklist you used while attempting soft landing? I am going to attempt in 2 days

for cbsa:
Bank statements, passports, copr, marriage ceritificates
for cbp:
i797, i94, visa documents what else?

My wife's current h4 visa stamp expires in september so is her i94, but that visa stamp is of my previous employer. my new employer is yet to file h4 extension for her. I think it should be fine, please share your thoughts. TIA

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
Hey @mnsan81 @kadkhiq81 @J8ballo$ @Milehighguy: Could you please please help based on your soft landing experience via land?

1. I found these links which state that US will not let non-essential travelers enter via land during Covid. I believe F1/H1B/H4 are considered non-essential travel. Were you asked about this?
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/06/23/2021-13238/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1596?language=en_US

2. Did others also have the same experience as @J8ballo$ regarding returning back without being asked about the intent to settle permanently? Did you also just say that you'd like to return back? The CIC website still says that "You should not travel to a port of entry to validate your COPR"

siddsin

Star Member
Sep 27, 2019

Hi, did you do this over the weekend? Is the Windsor Bridge open during the weekends as well or only during the weekdays?