+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Softlanding & Physical Presence Calculation

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Dear All,

I first take time to appreciate the moderators and contributors of this Forum. I find this platform exceptionally organised and handy in most of the times whenever I find any difficulties in the process or procedures. So kudos to all.

This is my first query to the Forum and it may have two parts to it. Thank you for the time and efforts for the possible response. Sorry for a long thread.

My Scenario.
I'm working in UAE and received my Visa for entry and must enter Canada by 1st week of Feb-2020. I'm planning to stay for 40 days and return to the UAE to continue my work for a while.

My question as follows

1. Soft landing
Since I'm planning for a soft-landing. Tentatively 1-Feb-2020 to 10-Mar-2020. Are these 40 days sufficient for soft-landing and receive my PR card?
Until how long is it advisable to stay in UAE after getting the PR card?
I have planned to stay for one more year in UAE and then visit Canada on Jan 2021. (So to add in the equation, Say, I planned to stay out of Canada 30 days per year on an average.) Will it be sufficient to show 1095 days by end of the 5th year (2025)?

2. Physical Presence
I'm aware that one must be present in Canada for 1095 days in 5 years. One of my friend in Canada mentioned that every day we stay out of Canada, it will be considered as two days off. Means one month vacation out of Canada will be considered as two months without physical presence How far is that true?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear All,

I first take time to appreciate the moderators and contributors of this Forum. I find this platform exceptionally organised and handy in most of the times whenever I find any difficulties in the process or procedures. So kudos to all.

This is my first query to the Forum and it may have two parts to it. Thank you for the time and efforts for the possible response. Sorry for a long thread.

My Scenario.
I'm working in UAE and received my Visa for entry and must enter Canada by 1st week of Feb-2020. I'm planning to stay for 40 days and return to the UAE to continue my work for a while.

My question as follows

1. Soft landing
Since I'm planning for a soft-landing. Tentatively 1-Feb-2020 to 10-Mar-2020. Until how long is it advisable to stay in UAE?
When will be safe to return to Canada to start my PR, so that it will add to my physical stay (Say, I planned to stay out of Canada 30 days per year on an average)?

2. Physical Presence
I'm aware that one must be present in Canada for 1095 days in 5 years. One of my friend in Canada mentioned that every day we stay out of Canada, it will be considered as two days off. Means one month vacation out of Canada will be considered as two months without physical presence How far is that true?
1. As long as you meet the residency requirements of 2out of 5 years for PR which becomes a rolling system after the first 5 years you are fine.
2. Don’t trust your friends. Google for the right answer. Every day in or out of Canada is counted as a day in or out of Canada.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
1. As long as you meet the residency requirements of 2out of 5 years for PR which becomes a rolling system after the first 5 years you are fine.
2. Don’t trust your friends. Google for the right answer. Every day in or out of Canada is counted as a day in or out of Canada.

Wow,

That was a swift response. Thank you Canuck78

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Ref (2) do not mix up physical presence for citizenship 1095 days in the 5 years before application date versus 730 days out of 5 years for the residency obligation

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78

So will it be safe to stay in UAE for one more year and continue my work, before I settle in Canada permanently?
Yes. Pretty common to do a soft landing then return to settle permanently a year or two later. You applied for PR didn’t you look into these things before?

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Ref (2) do not mix up a physical presence for citizenship 1095 days in the 5 years before application date versus 730 days out of 5 years for the residency obligation
Dear @Bs65

I couldn't get the difference between the two. In my understanding, out of 5 years, 730 days stay is required for PR to continue, and 1095 days is required to apply for citizenship. so you mean to say that 1095 will start count only after completion of the 730 days of PR?

My aim is to get Citizenship within 2025. Kindly advise

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Yes. Pretty common to do a soft landing then return to settle permanently a year or two later. You applied for PR didn’t you look into these things before?
Dear @canuck78

Thank you once again,

Yes, I have been learning about the soft-landing but there is no specific article that clearly states the Complete process. Which leads to confusion whenever someone gives an input. If you can advise or guide me what's the best process for soft-landing it will be of great help not only for me but many out there.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear @canuck78

Thank you once again,

Yes, I have been learning about the soft-landing but there is no specific article that clearly states the Complete process. Which leads to confusion whenever someone gives an input. If you can advise or guide me what's the best process for soft-landing it will be of great help not only for me but many out there.
No real process. You land get you apply PR and get SIN card and leave. You’ll need a friend or family member in Canada to send your PR card to if you don’t want to remain in Canada for a month or two. They can courier the PR card to you. You can’t get things like a health card because you won’t meet the residency obligations for health services. You want to minimize your connections to Canada so that you don’t become a tax resident.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
No real process. You land get you apply PR and get SIN card and leave. You’ll need a friend or family member in Canada to send your PR card to if you don’t want to remain in Canada for a month or two. They can courier the PR card to you. You can’t get things like a health card because you won’t meet the residency obligations for health services. You want to minimize your connections to Canada so that you don’t become a tax resident.
@canuck78 Thank You for your response.