Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
Hello, I would really appreciate if someone would suggest their views on this doubt/scenario.

We did soft landing back in may and came back to US as it was softlanding, the officer didnt take GTF and asked to fill when we are moving permanantly. I am on h1 and my wife's on h4. We foresee a situation where she could go first to work and then we will move.
We applied for PR card online in June via webform but yet to get an update on it.

We also saw that we can apply SIN online with signed copr and we are thinking to do it.

So please answer below queries:
  1. The officer told we all have to move together when we permanantly move via land with signed copr and also bring gtf. If we get the PR card and then can my wife travel on it by air/road with PR card and start working, in that case when we actually finally move with car and everything would there be any issue?
  2. We applying SIN if we get it then can she start looking for jobs in canada or does she need a PR card in hand to get one? Also is there any bank account that we can open online with SIN and PR card?
  3. Should we go together as a family for sure even if she has a PR card as I am the primary applicant?
Please share your thoughts. Thank you

jaganv117

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
We were in a similar situation last year and I will try my best to get your things clarified.

1) now that you have soft landed, you are already PR. So if you are travelling by road, you don't need PR card. She must submit the GTF, get the stamped copy back and send it to you.
When you move permanently, you can use the GTF to transport all the stuff in it, at any border.

2) SIN and PR card are not needed to apply for jobs. But if a job offer is in place, then they will require SIN before joining. PR card is not mandatory for job.COPR will suffice for most employers.
Bank account, you can open online with SIN and COPR, but it's pointless as you have to go in person anycase to get it activated.

3) Doesn't matter who the primary applicant is. That's irrelevant now as both are PRs since softlanding. Either can travel alone or together as you wish.

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
We were in a similar situation last year and I will try my best to get your things clarified.

1) now that you have soft landed, you are already PR. So if you are travelling by road, you don't need PR card. She must submit the GTF, get the stamped copy back and send it to you.
When you move permanently, you can use the GTF to transport all the stuff in it, at any border.

2) SIN and PR card are not needed to apply for jobs. But if a job offer is in place, then they will require SIN before joining. PR card is not mandatory for job.COPR will suffice for most employers.
Bank account, you can open online with SIN and COPR, but it's pointless as you have to go in person anycase to get it activated.

3) Doesn't matter who the primary applicant is. That's irrelevant now as both are PRs since softlanding. Either can travel alone or together as you wish.
Thank you for replying, but not sure why when I asked the same question during our soft-landing the officer said no we all have to come together.

Did it work for you when you permanantly moved with the signed GTF?

jaganv117

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
I can see no reason why you have to go together as I explained that both are now PRs and can travel without one another.

In my scenario, we softlanded in March 2020. Then applied for SIN online, wife got a job and called cbsa to check if she can travel alone, they said YES, she can travel on her own.

But I still went with her to help settle. Submitted GTF, and took it back when I returned to US after quarantine. Moved permanently after 2 months with items in GTF including car.

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
thank you so much. I will apply for SIN first online and lookout for jobs.

When you said you took it back, did you take it
back from the officers?

jaganv117

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
thank you so much. I will apply for SIN first online and lookout for jobs.

When you said you took it back, did you take it
back from the officers?
GTF will be 2 copies. 1 for their records and 1 for the PR as proof when they bring the goods in.