+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing

ccaallvviinn

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Hello everyone! This forum has been benefiting me a lot throughout the whole process, and I really appreciate if any insights/experiences could be shared to guide me for my questions below. Thank you!

Situation: I have received my COPR and am planning on a soft landing in April/May, 2020. I am currently on H-1B visa and living in Minnesota.

1. Is it possible to do my soft landing at the port of entry in Canada north of Minnesota? I did some research in the forum here, and it seems that people were able to do that at either Neebing/Pigeon River or Fort Frances. However, when I am looking at the official website for Canada Border Service, neither of these ports has 'Immigration' as a listed service, while Windsor, ON port does, for example. Personally, I would much prefer to doing the soft landing in either of these two ports north of Minnesota, if possible - more cost effective and way closer than other ports to me.

2. I will need to request an 'auto-revalidation' to get back to the US, after the soft landing, because my current H-1B visa has expired in my passport. Does anyone have some experience of making the request to the US port near either Neebing/Pigeon River or Fort Frances? Just wondering how experienced they might be in processing this request.

Thanks again!

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
1. I think this post should definitely be able to process landing even if it is not mentioned.
2. There is nothing to 'request'. Just show them your passport and H1B approval notice and they will let you enter. If you encounter a less informed officer, they will send you to secondary inspection at the most.

ccaallvviinn

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
1. I think this post should definitely be able to process landing even if it is not mentioned.
2. There is nothing to 'request'. Just show them your passport and H1B approval notice and they will let you enter. If you encounter a less informed officer, they will send you to secondary inspection at the most.
Thank you so much for your insights! Really appreciate it. Just to share with you and others potentially looking at this post, I called the CBSA the other day and confirmed that all ports between US and Canada should be able to process immigration and that their website is a little outdated, in terms of the services listed.

yamakart

Mar 16, 2019
Has anybody done softlanding via land border recently from the USA? We are planning in March via peace bridge. Any suggestions or recommendations are much appreciated. Are there any restrictions in place?

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
As I understand it, on entry to Canada you would need to quarantine for 14 days before returning to to USA.

Lpranitha

Apr 29, 2022
Has anybody done softlanding via land border recently from the USA? We are planning in March via peace bridge. Any suggestions or recommendations are much appreciated. Are there any restrictions in place?
Hey, did you end up doing the soft landing?

labataille16

Apr 30, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-03-2020
+1 Follow up on sharing soft landing experience.