+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing via Windsor - Book Appointment for PR?

greatlekhs1

Sep 11, 2018
Hello helpful community members,

My husband and I plan to do soft landing in Canada via Windsor for our Canadian PR process. For those of you who did soft landing via road recently, please answer some of our questions. Do we need to book an appointment or can we arrive at any time? If we need to book an appointment, what website did you use to book that slot? Or do we need to call some place for booking the appointment? Please advice.

Thank you!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you are already in Canada and planning to flagpole you can only do so Tues/Weds/Thurs at any Ontario crossing otherwise if not flagpoling then any day

You do not need to book an appointment at a crossing just turn up with your documentation and declare you want to land as PRs although obviously some times traffic wise will be busier than others so plan accordingly.

greatlekhs1

Sep 11, 2018
If you are already in Canada and planning to flagpole you can only do so Tues/Weds/Thurs at any Ontario crossing otherwise if not flagpoling then any day

You do not need to book an appointment at a crossing just turn up with your documentation and declare you want to land as PRs although obviously some times traffic wise will be busier than others so plan accordingly.
Thank you so much! We are in the US, not in Canada. Sorry, should've mentioned that. So, we are not flagpoling. I take it that we can enter any time. Is it better to take the bridge or tunnel?

Also, I am reading we need to have goods to follow, pics of jewelry, bank statements and proof of funds in addition to our copr and passports. Any other documents necessary to enter? Don't want to be sent back to the US!! :)

Snipping

Star Member
May 17, 2017
Thank you so much! We are in the US, not in Canada. Sorry, should've mentioned that. So, we are not flagpoling. I take it that we can enter any time. Is it better to take the bridge or tunnel?

Also, I am reading we need to have goods to follow, pics of jewelry, bank statements and proof of funds in addition to our copr and passports. Any other documents necessary to enter? Don't want to be sent back to the US!! :)
One thing you should have is a Canadian address where the PR card will be sent. You can use a friend or relative’s address. Without a Canadian address the CBSA officer may refuse to execute the COPR on the grounds that you are not yet settling in Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
One thing you should have is a Canadian address where the PR card will be sent. You can use a friend or relative’s address. Without a Canadian address the CBSA officer may refuse to execute the COPR on the grounds that you are not yet settling in Canada.
Need a Canadian address for the PR card but doubt not having a Canadian address would result in CBSA refusing to land someone after all that would imply the vast majority of new immigrants could fail on arrival given not everyone arriving have a residential address, especially those with no friends or relatives in Canada.

Sure CBSA could refuse to process a PR card application for a soft lander but unlikely a COPR processing would be refused assuming the documentation is all in order,

Last edited:

Takentaken421

Aug 30, 2018
I recently did my soft landing in Windsor via tunnel. No appointment is required. It's straightforward and CBSA agent will guide you about the process. Keep the Canadian address handy in order to submit the application for PR card.

If your goods accompanying and goods to follow list (2 sets for each) are well prepared, it makes things a lot easier and faster. No need to fill BSF186 forms, CBSA agent will fill this out and staple the print out of your list. They will return a copy of BSF186 form along with the stamped goods list. If you plan to import your car later, make sure you add this in goods to follow along with car VIN number. Before you leave CBSA office, double check you receive these documents and all stamped:

1. Your copy of COPR
2. Copy of BSF186 form and your goods list attached to it
3. Entry stamp on your passport indicating 'PR' and your COPR number (not a big deal though)

SIN office and banks are very close to tunnel. We reached SIN office around 1pm and waited for about 2.5 hours. May be due to lot of students from fall admission were applying for SIN.

Opened savings account at Scotia on 2nd day. They are currently offering 12 months free account and a credit card of 2000 limit.

We had some hiccups returning back to US but we carried all necessary paperwork and were eventually allowed to enter.

Hope this helps. Will be glad to answer if you have more questions. Congratulations and Good Luck :) !

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018
I recently did my soft landing in Windsor via tunnel. No appointment is required. It's straightforward and CBSA agent will guide you about the process. Keep the Canadian address handy in order to submit the application for PR card.

If your goods accompanying and goods to follow list (2 sets for each) are well prepared, it makes things a lot easier and faster. No need to fill BSF186 forms, CBSA agent will fill this out and staple the print out of your list. They will return a copy of BSF186 form along with the stamped goods list. If you plan to import your car later, make sure you add this in goods to follow along with car VIN number. Before you leave CBSA office, double check you receive these documents and all stamped:

1. Your copy of COPR
2. Copy of BSF186 form and your goods list attached to it
3. Entry stamp on your passport indicating 'PR' and your COPR number (not a big deal though)

SIN office and banks are very close to tunnel. We reached SIN office around 1pm and waited for about 2.5 hours. May be due to lot of students from fall admission were applying for SIN.

Opened savings account at Scotia on 2nd day. They are currently offering 12 months free account and a credit card of 2000 limit.

We had some hiccups returning back to US but we carried all necessary paperwork and were eventually allowed to enter.

Hope this helps. Will be glad to answer if you have more questions. Congratulations and Good Luck :) !
Thank you for detailed post..
What hiccups u had while entering US...I just want to be sure that I am carrying all paperwork with me..

ravichs473

Dec 6, 2018

I’m planning to do soft landing at ambassador bridge on saturday. Is the CBSA office open on saturday?