+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing rules during COVID

rad1234

Jun 26, 2019
Hi, my PR visa expires in June and I am very nervous about traveling during this time especially with 14 day mandatory quarantine. I have a toddler at home and cannot be away for so long.

In terms of soft landing, is it possible for me to soft land at Toronto airport, complete my PR formalities at the airport and leave back to US directly without exiting the airport. Does this count as soft landing and will I be able to skip the mandatory quarantine in Canada under such a scenario? Can someone please advise.
TIA.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi, my PR visa expires in June and I am very nervous about traveling during this time especially with 14 day mandatory quarantine. I have a toddler at home and cannot be away for so long.

In terms of soft landing, is it possible for me to soft land at Toronto airport, complete my PR formalities at the airport and leave back to US directly without exiting the airport. Does this count as soft landing and will I be able to skip the mandatory quarantine in Canada under such a scenario? Can someone please advise.
TIA.
Non essential travel is not allowed between USA and Canada. Now if you come to Canada and you say you came just for a day then I doubt that would be considered essential travel.

If you were coming to Canada for settling purposes you would be allowed in and you would be asked to quarantine yourself for 14 days. In your scenario I'm not certain your travel would be considered as essential and your landing formalities be completed.

June is still sometime away and information is changing everyday. I would suggest to wait and see how things go. And if things don't change you need to plan to be in Canada for 14 days. As things stand today there are no exceptions to that rule.

rad1234

Jun 26, 2019
Non essential travel is not allowed between USA and Canada. Now if you come to Canada and you say you came just for a day then I doubt that would be considered essential travel.

If you were coming to Canada for settling purposes you would be allowed in and you would be asked to quarantine yourself for 14 days. In your scenario I'm not certain your travel would be considered as essential and your landing formalities be completed.

June is still sometime away and information is changing everyday. I would suggest to wait and see how things go. And if things don't change you need to plan to be in Canada for 14 days. As things stand today there are no exceptions to that

rad1234

Jun 26, 2019
Thanks for the detailed response. I guess I’m wondering if a soft landing at airport for the day for settlement purposes could be a valid reason for the authorities to complete my landing formalities.

My intention is settlement as I will lose my Pr status if I don’t land in Canada before June but I also have a toddler at home that needs me.

Do you think that wouldn’t work as a fair option from a settlement perspective?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the detailed response. I guess I’m wondering if a soft landing at airport for the day for settlement purposes could be a valid reason for the authorities to complete my landing formalities.

My intention is settlement as I will lose my Pr status if I don’t land in Canada before June but I also have a toddler at home that needs me.

You need to try and reach someone at the airport you are flying into and see if you can do a landing and return on the same day so essentially not leaving the airport. Would also try reaching IRCC and asking the same thing. Would suggest sending a webform so you have something in writing. You used to be able to do this but nobody has clarified whether it is still possible.

Reactions: Uncle_Iroh

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018

Honestly, it's not up to me to decide that. As Canuck mentioned above it is not entirely clear whether it is possible today. You can try reaching out to IRCC but again the officer at airport has the authority to decide what is or is not essential travel. If I were you I would think of a way to travel for 14 days in worst case scenario.

dsamerwyn

Mar 4, 2019

TIA.

Hi, did you manage to go to canada for a day and leave ? My last day to land in canada is september and I am facing the same problem, I'm flying from bahrain and I have to quarantine in canada for 14 days and bahrain 14 days which is not an option . So trying to avoid the canada 14 days quarantine atleast.

Reactions: Uncle_Iroh
Nov 15, 2018

TIA.
Hi rad1234,
It will be so kind of you if you could advise with an update of your situation whether you managed to do a soft landing or not. I am in the same scenario and my travel documents expire next month. I cant afford to quarantine in Canada and US when I come back. Please help!
Thanks,
Shameer