+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing questions

Baahubali

May 18, 2017
Guys,

1. Do we have to give the immigration officers address for PR card delivery Or can we provide them with the address later?

2. During my short trip to Canada I am planning to investigate some postal services like UPS who can receive and mail me the card. I would need them to send it to India. Has anyone used such a service before or is planning to?

kaddu747

Star Member
Jul 5, 2010
Bangalore, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-07-2016
Doc's Request.
02-11-2016
Nomination.....
02-11-2016
AOR Received.
27-03-2017
Med's Done....
29-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-29-2017
Guys,

1. Do we have to give the immigration officers address for PR card delivery Or can we provide them with the address later?

2. During my short trip to Canada I am planning to investigate some postal services like UPS who can receive and mail me the card. I would need them to send it to India. Has anyone used such a service before or is planning to?
PO Boxes are not an option if that is what you are referring to.

mdk2017

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
Sudbury, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
AOR Received.
July 11th 2017
guys when landing is proof of funds document asked to be seen by Canada immigration officer?

kaddu747

Star Member
Jul 5, 2010
Bangalore, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-07-2016
Doc's Request.
02-11-2016
Nomination.....
02-11-2016
AOR Received.
27-03-2017
Med's Done....
29-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-29-2017
I am not sure but I read in some posts people vaguely mentioning using postal services for reception of card.
That would work if you have someone in Canada to mail/courier the cards to your Indian address after he/she receives them at their Canadian address.

Baahubali

May 18, 2017
I am planning for a week stay in Canada for my short landing. I will have my PR card received by someone since it will come in 2 months. Is there any advantage in staying more than a week, say 2-3 weeks in which I could get some work done?
Thanks.

wolfman2017

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
AOR Received.
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
27-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2015
I see a lot of benefit in getting the SIN number on day 1, followed by opening a bank account and applying for credit card on the same day with the bank. This starts the credit building sooner. I have US driving license and history, so I am thinking to get the driving license on day 2. My intention is to get anything that establishes credit/driving history sooner, so as to get the benefits linked to these sooner than later. A lot of things like insurance rates, auto loans, apartments on rent, mortgage for homes etc depend on the credit history to a large extent..
I think I will have 2 days max, so I can get some of these things rolling.. I can wait for health insurance until I move completely, but since it takes 3 months to kick in, maybe applying for that is also a good idea if you are returning back to Canada in 3-5 months.
Still looking for suggestions from other people here who are in Canada already or did a soft landing in the past.
I think this is the way it works, you can check again to confirm.

You cannot apply for Canadian driver license with US driving license if you are still planning to US driving license since they will take away US driving license. You are supposed to have only one license at any time.

As for insurance, it does not matter when you apply. It is counted from how many days you have lived in the province so you cannot just apply and come back after 3 months and use the insurance. You have to be resident in that province for that waiting period.

wolfman2017

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
AOR Received.
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
27-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2015
Do you think having a US driving license can aid in getting a Canadian one? I had a US driving license but it expired a couple of years ago.
US driving license has to be valid and current.

javisam376

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
That would work if you have someone in Canada to mail/courier the cards to your Indian address after he/she receives them at their Canadian address.
I am also in need to do a soft landing before moving permanently to Canada. I have relatives in Montreal but I heard it might not be wise to get my PR card deliver to them because the immigration officer might think I want to settle in Quebec and without a "certificat du selection" I might be denied entry to Canada.

I am doing some research and it seems UPS gives you a po box with a "real" addres: http://www.theupsstore.ca/services/mailboxes/, so I am wondering if I can get a po box with a "real" address at UPS and get my PR card delivered there, and then get all mail forwarded to my relatives in Montreal.

Anyone knows if that will work?

Anyone can think of a better plan to do a soft landing and get my PR card delivered to my home country or my relatives in Montreal in my situation?

My plan B is to ask an immigration lawyer and see what they can come up with, but that sounds like lots of $$$$ to solve the issue.

Thanks in advance.

kaddu747

Star Member
Jul 5, 2010
Bangalore, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-07-2016
Doc's Request.
02-11-2016
Nomination.....
02-11-2016
AOR Received.
27-03-2017
Med's Done....
29-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-29-2017
I don't think CIC delivers to PO Boxes.

I am also in need to do a soft landing before moving permanently to Canada. I have relatives in Montreal but I heard it might not be wise to get my PR card deliver to them because the immigration officer might think I want to settle in Quebec and without a "certificat du selection" I might be denied entry to Canada.

I am doing some research and it seems UPS gives you a po box with a "real" addres: http://www.theupsstore.ca/services/mailboxes/, so I am wondering if I can get a po box with a "real" address at UPS and get my PR card delivered there, and then get all mail forwarded to my relatives in Montreal.

Anyone knows if that will work?

Anyone can think of a better plan to do a soft landing and get my PR card delivered to my home country or my relatives in Montreal in my situation?

My plan B is to ask an immigration lawyer and see what they can come up with, but that sounds like lots of $$$$ to solve the issue.

Thanks in advance.