+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing- Query

Joe110

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
Hi,

I have an interesting question on behalf of one of my friends.
She is from India, and recently got the COPR for Canada. Additionally, she has also got the L1 Visa sponsorship for the job in USA from her company and will have to move to USA soon for working there.

Now wondering, how to go about this?
1. Shall she move to USA first and then from USA goto Canada, do a SOFT Landing, come back to USA and then later in time move permanently to Canada?
2. Shall she move to Canada from India, do a SOFT Landing and then move to USA to work and then later in time move permanently to Canada?
3. Any other feasible route to follow

Anyone in a similar stance, please share your guidance. It will be highly helpful.

Best,
Joe

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi,

I have an interesting question on behalf of one of my friends.
She is from India, and recently got the COPR for Canada. Additionally, she has also got the L1 Visa sponsorship for the job in USA from her company and will have to move to USA soon for working there.

Now wondering, how to go about this?
1. Shall she move to USA first and then from USA goto Canada, do a SOFT Landing, come back to USA and then later in time move permanently to Canada?
2. Shall she move to Canada from India, do a SOFT Landing and then move to USA to work and then later in time move permanently to Canada?
3. Any other feasible route to follow

Anyone in a similar stance, please share your guidance. It will be highly helpful.

Best,
Joe
Depends on what she wants to do. Both options are feasible.

Reactions: paneka penalty

Joe110

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
Hi @cansha,

She is preferring to first goto USA for work and then move to Canada, question is -
1. Does she have to inform the IRCC about her relocation to USA on L1?
2. Is she does soft landing to Canada from USA, after how much time then can she do the hard landing and permanently move to Canada?
3. What are pros and cons of moving to Canada from USA in terms of soft and hard landing ?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi @cansha,

She is preferring to first goto USA for work and then move to Canada, question is -
1. Does she have to inform the IRCC about her relocation to USA on L1?
2. Is she does soft landing to Canada from USA, after how much time then can she do the hard landing and permanently move to Canada?
3. What are pros and cons of moving to Canada from USA in terms of soft and hard landing ?
1. No. IRCC doesn't care
2. If she wants to keep PR she needs to spend 730 days in Canada in a 5 year period. So if objective is to keep PR need to move permanently to Canada in 3 years. Based on personal experience I don't think she will do that as anyone who works on L1 in US would find it to leave it behind.
3. There is no question of pro and con. It is a very general thing to do. Depends on what you consider pro and con.

You (or your friend) are way overthinking this. There are no pitfalls or pro and cons here. Do what works for you in the situation. Only thing that matters is if she wants to keep her PR she needs to be back in Canada in 3 years.

Reactions: paneka penalty

Joe110

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
1. No. IRCC doesn't care
2. If she wants to keep PR she needs to spend 730 days in Canada in a 5 year period. So if objective is to keep PR need to move permanently to Canada in 3 years. Based on personal experience I don't think she will do that as anyone who works on L1 in US would find it to leave it behind.
3. There is no question of pro and con. It is a very general thing to do. Depends on what you consider pro and con.

You (or your friend) are way overthinking this. There are no pitfalls or pro and cons here. Do what works for you in the situation. Only thing that matters is if she wants to keep her PR she needs to be back in Canada in 3 years.
Hi @cansha , thanks for your response. It's very helpful.

So, while she is planning to move to USA first, just confirming, is there anything required on her part to inform IRCC that she would be relocating to USA first, and then later in time to Canada?

The reason I am asking is that when she does the soft landing, so border services will ask about the residential address or not? Would there be a need to show any proof that she has been staying in USA and informed IRCC about it?

Sydneyaccountant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2020
I don’t think she’s under any obligation as long as she has given her landing before the COPR expires. Make sure to get the PR card when she gives her landing. If she doesn’t spent atleast 2 of the 5 years in Canada, she won’t be eligible to renew her PR.

Reactions: Joe110

Joe110

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
I don’t think she’s under any obligation as long as she has given her landing before the COPR expires. Make sure to get the PR card when she gives her landing. If she doesn’t spent atleast 2 of the 5 years in Canada, she won’t be eligible to renew her PR.
Got it, this helps.

A follow-up ques to your last point about spending 2 yrs out of 5 to renew PR, so if she does soft landing and gets the PR card, and then returns back to USA for work, how soon then does she have to move to Canada? In other words, how long can she stay in US until she hard lands in Canada? Any criteria on that?