+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing Q

movupnorth

Feb 7, 2018
Firstly, thanks for this website and its members- it answered all my doubts regarding applying for PR. I have gotten my PPR for me my wife and my child. We live in the US and our medicals expire in June 2019. We are looking to do a soft landing before that and return back to the US. Below are my questions.

1. We plan to return almost immediately and have no one in canada to send our PR cards to. From what I have read, that's ok and we ll just have to either land by car or get a PRTD for our eventual settlement move. Any concerns with this? Or is this fairly normal.
  2. As we don't plan to settle in canada on our soft landing do we still have to produce a goods to follow list? I have seen conflicting information regarding the same.
  3. We plan to move a year or so after(finding jobs, selling house in US etc) Is it ok to be upfront to the immigration officer about that?
  4. I am on a H1b in the US- any other gotchas? (around visa status, re-entry, taxes etc)

winterdiva

Dec 18, 2017
London
AOR Received.
04-08-2018
Firstly, thanks for this website and its members- it answered all my doubts regarding applying for PR. I have gotten my PPR for me my wife and my child. We live in the US and our medicals expire in June 2019. We are looking to do a soft landing before that and return back to the US. Below are my questions.

1. We plan to return almost immediately and have no one in canada to send our PR cards to. From what I have read, that's ok and we ll just have to either land by car or get a PRTD for our eventual settlement move. Any concerns with this? Or is this fairly normal.
  2. As we don't plan to settle in canada on our soft landing do we still have to produce a goods to follow list? I have seen conflicting information regarding the same.
  3. We plan to move a year or so after(finding jobs, selling house in US etc) Is it ok to be upfront to the immigration officer about that
I have the same questions. Please can anyone answer? Thank you

mayrujadhav

Jul 19, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Category........
FSW
Hello,
I was in a similar situation minus the child part and below answers are based on my personal experience:

1. Not sure, I found a friend's cousin who allowed me to use her address. From what i heard, you can give any temporary address (eg. hotel) and change it as soon as you find something more reliable. I believe address is needed in order for them to start the process of generating your PR card.
Try connecting with someone on Facebook groups/ Forums and see if you can use their address. (Most people I encountered were very helpful and you can meet them in person when you do the soft landing.)
P.S> I am hoping to move permanently sometime in June and would be happy to provide my address once I have it.

2. You're not needed to provide goods to follow list. They will ask for it but when you tell them that this is your soft landing they will skip the part.

3. I doubt they will bother asking on when are you planning to actually immigrate. In any case, you can be upfront about it, since legally you have five years to immigrate anytime.

Hope this helps!!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello,
I was in a similar situation minus the child part and below answers are based on my personal experience:

1. Not sure, I found a friend's cousin who allowed me to use her address. From what i heard, you can give any temporary address (eg. hotel) and change it as soon as you find something more reliable. I believe address is needed in order for them to start the process of generating your PR card.
Try connecting with someone on Facebook groups/ Forums and see if you can use their address. (Most people I encountered were very helpful and you can meet them in person when you do the soft landing.)
P.S> I am hoping to move permanently sometime in June and would be happy to provide my address once I have it.

2. You're not needed to provide goods to follow list. They will ask for it but when you tell them that this is your soft landing they will skip the part.

3. I doubt they will bother asking on when are you planning to actually immigrate. In any case, you can be upfront about it, since legally you have five years to immigrate anytime.

Hope this helps!!
3)not exactly true in that a new immigrant must spend 2 years in any 5 year period in Canada to retain their PR status. This starts from the initial landing date so they could stay away for near 3 years following a soft landing but would then need to stay put for 2 years. If someone did not return until year 4 or 5 then it is likely on arrival they could be reported leading to their PR status being revoked.