+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing + PR question

Sherenk

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
Hello All

If the below questions have already been discussed, please provide links to those threads:

Note that I still need to get passport stamped. I only have PPR as of now.

This is what I plan to do, hence below questions are related to that:
Land in Jan 2018.
Leave in 2 weeks.
Either return in May 2018 or May 2019 (My child's passport will expire in Feb 2019, so the visa which will be issued for Canada will also expire).

1. How does soft landing work? What do you tell the officer at the landing port?

2. How soon do I need to return if I land and then exit in Jan 2018? If my friend sends me the PR by mail, then does it mean I need to return in 3 years to keep my PR validated?

3. If I land in Jan 2018 and apply for PR, does it mean that my PR card will be activated (issued) from that date?

4. On what visa do I return? Visa which was stamped after PPR? Or does visa not matter since I have PR card (which the friend will send to me)?

Thanks!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If the below questions have already been discussed, please provide links to those threads
There is a search function on the site so you can find these yourself.

EDIT- The PR visa for you child will expire well before the passport expiry. They are only good until one year after the medical is done. If you did the medical today and got the PR visa tomorrow, they would need to enter Canada by July 13/2018 or the visa is invalid and you would have to start the PR process again.

1) you arrive at the port of entry and tell them you are landing. They will send you to secondary and you will have to answer some question and provide an address. If you tell them you are doing a soft landing and not staying they may not process your PR card till you return and establish yourself.

2) You need to be in Canada 730 days in a 5 year period (rolling 5 years after the first 5 year period) from the date you land and activate your PR. 730 days is the absolute minimum ( some feel 800+ is a safer margin) and it can result in secondary review of your renewal if you are cutting it to close. Not having established ties to Canada for an extended period could be construed as not being a permenent resident (they do expect you to settle in Canada as the name implies) and is potentially a risk to your PR if they decide that.

3) PR card date is not the same as your landing date. The card will be dated with the date it is produced. Your landing date is the one you need to be concerned with.

4) you use the PR card for travel. That is technically all it is...a travel document. If you don't have a PR card, you will need to apply for a PRTD.

Last edited:

Sherenk

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016

EDIT- The PR visa for you child will expire well before the passport expiry. They are only good until one year after the medical is done. If you did the medical today and got the PR visa tomorrow, they would need to enter Canada by July 13/2018 or the visa is invalid and you would have to start the PR process again.

1) you arrive at the port of entry and tell them you are landing. They will send you to secondary and you will have to answer some question and provide an address. If you tell them you are doing a soft landing and not staying they may not process your PR card till you return and establish yourself.

2) You need to be in Canada 730 days in a 5 year period (rolling 5 years after the first 5 year period) from the date you land and activate your PR. 730 days is the absolute minimum ( some feel 800+ is a safer margin) and it can result in secondary review of your renewal if you are cutting it to close. Not having established ties to Canada for an extended period could be construed as not being a permenent resident (they do expect you to settle in Canada as the name implies) and is potentially a risk to your PR if they decide that.

3) PR card date is not the same as your landing date. The card will be dated with the date it is produced. Your landing date is the one you need to be concerned with.

4) you use the PR card for travel. That is technically all it is...a travel document. If you don't have a PR card, you will need to apply for a PRTD.
Thanks for your response.

Let me clarify further and hope that I have understood it.

My medical was done on Jan 2017, Hence the visa should expire by Jan 2018 (I have not yet submitted my passport for stamping).

I would like to do a soft landing in Dec 2017 or Jan 2018 (I will tell the officer that I am doing a hard landing and hopefully he will process the PR for me). And then return back in May 2018 with the PR (which the friend will send me by mail).

I would prefer to do the above instead of doing a hard landing in Dec 2017 (due to some personal commitments). Is it possible?

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
totally possible. You don't have to tell them your doing a hard or soft landing.......just landing and an address to send the PR card to. The thing to remember is don't lie to them about anything, but only answer what you are asked. Don't volunteer anything they don't ask for.
Remember to fill out a BSFf86 form if you plan to bring goods or valuables to Canada at your first landing or later on. It will be duty free when you do return and bring it with you but it should be submitted on the first landing.

melmathews

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Med's Done....
23-04-2017
Passport Req..
21-07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2018
Hi, I have a question regarding soft landing.
We received our PPR (family of 4, 2 kids) and we need to do our landing by 20th April 2018.

I was planning for a soft landing for my wife and me this year in October (without the kids since school is on) and do a hard landing (wife and kids ) in April 2018. I would follow in June.

Would this be fine, and can wife and me apply for PR cards at the time? And apply for the PR cards for the kids later, once they land in April...

Thanks in advance Guys!!

imarri01

Jun 3, 2017
Category........
AOR Received.
10-02-2017
Hi, I have a question regarding soft landing.
We received our PPR (family of 4, 2 kids) and we need to do our landing by 20th April 2018.

I was planning for a soft landing for my wife and me this year in October (without the kids since school is on) and do a hard landing (wife and kids ) in April 2018. I would follow in June.

Would this be fine, and can wife and me apply for PR cards at the time? And apply for the PR cards for the kids later, once they land in April...

Thanks in advance Guys!!
If i'm not mistaken, once the kids were listed as dependents on the application, all 4 need to be present for the initial landing.

vidhu88

Star Member
Feb 20, 2016
Hi All

Scenario: I have a Immigrant single entry visa which is valid till 23rd Nov'17. For soft landing, I'll be landing in Toronto for only a week post which I'll be flying to San Francisco where I'll be spending another 3 weeks. I have a return flight to Delhi from San Francisco via Toronto.

Query: Since I won't be having my PR card by the time I re-enter Toronto to boarding my connecting flight (as I have a 2:30 hrs lay-off in Toronto while returning to Delhi via San Francisco), what document would I need to re-enter Canada? Should I apply for a transit visa to re-enter Canada within 3 weeks of landing or should I apply for another Confirmation of Permanent Resident Document to re-enter?

Also, could you please suggest when should I be applying for this document/ visa as I am planning to travel in October'17.

Regards

Reactions: s.abuhass

DrPnk

Jul 16, 2016
Ahmedabad
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

When and how will be the COPR validity of the child be extended to five years?

Is it legal to send PR cards via international mail?

Is it okay if some friend or relative brings it along with them?

DrPnk

Jul 16, 2016
Ahmedabad
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All

If the below questions have already been discussed, please provide links to those threads:

Note that I still need to get passport stamped. I only have PPR as of now.

This is what I plan to do, hence below questions are related to that:
Land in Jan 2018.
Leave in 2 weeks.
Either return in May 2018 or May 2019 (My child's passport will expire in Feb 2019, so the visa which will be issued for Canada will also expire).

1. How does soft landing work? What do you tell the officer at the landing port?

2. How soon do I need to return if I land and then exit in Jan 2018? If my friend sends me the PR by mail, then does it mean I need to return in 3 years to keep my PR validated?

3. If I land in Jan 2018 and apply for PR, does it mean that my PR card will be activated (issued) from that date?

4. On what visa do I return? Visa which was stamped after PPR? Or does visa not matter since I have PR card (which the friend will send to me)?

Thanks!
WHAT DID YOU DECIDE ?

I'M IN THE SAME SITUATION
HAVE TO RETURN WITHIN 10 DAYS OF INITIAL LANDING..

DOES IT STATE ANYWHERE THAT IT IS NOT ADVISABLE?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When and how will be the COPR validity of the child be extended to five years?
=================================
Never.

Is it legal to send PR cards via international mail?
=========================
Not illegal.

Is it okay if some friend or relative brings it along with them?
========================
Better not. It is like you care somebody's passport with you. Suspicious.

jitinjain

Nov 22, 2017
I have a similar query. We are a family of 3 (me, my wife and my son)
I received my CoPR in Nov'17 and expiry is Apr'18. I plan to land in Canada in Feb'18 and make a soft landing, stay for 2 weeks.
As my son will be 4 months old then, we want to come back and go back again in Jul-Aug when he will be 10 months old.

Is it possible for us to make a soft landing in Feb, stay for 2 weeks and land in Canada again by Jul-Aug or my wife & son stay for 2 weeks & come back by Jul-Aug? What is the process for the same?

Would my CoPR be extended till Jul-Aug this way?

Reactions: alanvo84

conscientious

Sep 8, 2017
totally possible. You don't have to tell them your doing a hard or soft landing.......just landing and an address to send the PR card to. The thing to remember is don't lie to them about anything, but only answer what you are asked. Don't volunteer anything they don't ask for.
Remember to fill out a BSFf86 form if you plan to bring goods or valuables to Canada at your first landing or later on. It will be duty free when you do return and bring it with you but it should be submitted on the first landing.
Hi, I'm in a similar situation (with COPR) and find this information greatly helpful.

My intentions are to do a soft landing and apply for the PR card since then I do not have to worry about a PRTD.

01. As you have mentioned , I do not want to lie to a CBSA officer during my first visit.
If the CBSA officer directly ask 'are you permanently moving in now?' I will have to tell that I'm planning to go back after two weeks with the hopes of returning two months later. In that case will they let me apply for the PR card then and there?

02. If I say that I'm permanently moving in, apply for the PR card and then returned to my home country after two weeks, will I have to justify reasons for that later on?

sharelp

Star Member
Mar 17, 2018
Hi
I am applying for PR for me and my kid. Once I have the COPR can we both go to Canada and complete the landing formalities and after a week I am planning to return to India to drop her so that she can complete her school year. I will return immediately to search for job and make arrangements for my husband and kid.
can we do that?