+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing on Day 1 CPT/F1 Visa

Stewie090

Jun 14, 2018
Hi all,

I have a quick question regarding soft landing. I am currently on Day 1 CPT also my H1b got approved recently.
  1. Has anyone returned to US on CPT I20 without any issues?
  2. I've heard of AVR visa, is that something that I should apply for?
My only concern is that if anything goes wrong at the immigration, I wouldn't be able to go back to Canada since my PR card would take atleast 60 days to arrive.

thank you in advance for your inputs.

indpnv

Mar 16, 2018
United States
Hi all,

I have a quick question regarding soft landing. I am currently on Day 1 CPT also my H1b got approved recently.
  1. Has anyone returned to US on CPT I20 without any issues?
  2. I've heard of AVR visa, is that something that I should apply for?
My only concern is that if anything goes wrong at the immigration, I wouldn't be able to go back to Canada since my PR card would take atleast 60 days to arrive.

thank you in advance for your inputs.
CPT or OPT? Are you currently employed or have a job offer in the US.
Also, Does you I-20 have a travel signature? You can always travel out of the US and enter if you have that.

asukumari

Aug 6, 2018
CPT or OPT? Are you currently employed or have a job offer in the US.
Also, Does you I-20 have a travel signature? You can always travel out of the US and enter if you have that.
I'm in similar circumstance, I am on CPT and hold I-20 from my school with travel signature and also work full time in US. So it should be okay to travel to Canada and enter back without any problems?

dauntless84

Sep 25, 2017
Guys, you should be fine with an I-20. Please do not get scared about rumors being spread about CPT where you have issues, your I-20 clearly states your intent to study and you prove that with your document. This document is linked with USCIS.

jaibha91

Dec 3, 2019
AS LONG AS YOU HAVE AN ACTIVE VISA, YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO! HOWEVER THERE IS ALWAYS A RISK OF AN IMMIGRATION OFFICER - FOR INSTANCE IF HE HAS A BAD DAY, OR HIS WIFE IS GIVING A HARD TIME, THEN HE MAY TAKE IT OUT ON OTHERS

neilmm

Sep 9, 2020
Hello everyone,

First thing first - congrats.
I have a quick question- Is the work ex on Day1 CPT considered a 1 year in real= 1 year in ircc or 1 year in real = 0.5 year in ircc?

Help is appreciated, Thanks.

dauntless84

Sep 25, 2017
Hi Neil,

Look, CPT or Non-CPT, no difference buddy. It is Work Experience. There is no link between CPT and Non-CPT. Your work experience is separate and counts towards IRCC no matter what.

Goodluck!

Reactions: neilmm