+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing in Covid Situation, Pros and Cons

khaza_139

Oct 10, 2019
Hi All

Thanks for reading my post, this is strictly a personal query. I received COPR under FSW stream and COPR valid till september,2020. Initially I thought of moving to Canada at once but due to Covid everything became uncertain. Now I am thinking of doing a soft landing stay there for 15-20 days and then come to my home country keeping my current job. Then I will move once and for all by next February/March. My current employer is a large MNC having footprints in Canada too, there's a good chance I can get a transfer in Canada too but it will take 5-6 months untill the Covid situation eases down.

My only concern is that,
1. If I do a soft landing I would have to return without my PR card, I have relatives/friends to receive the card, but still a risk me being not there to receive it.
2. PRTD: Is there any difficulties/complications in getting PRTD if I dont have PR card on time for next travel.

Do you guys think doing a soft landing now would be a wise decision considering the situation mentioned above or I should move once and for all even though economy is down in Canada. I am single applicant.

Appreciate your response.
God Bless.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All

Thanks for reading my post, this is strictly a personal query. I received COPR under FSW stream and COPR valid till september,2020. Initially I thought of moving to Canada at once but due to Covid everything became uncertain. Now I am thinking of doing a soft landing stay there for 15-20 days and then come to my home country keeping my current job. Then I will move once and for all by next February/March. My current employer is a large MNC having footprints in Canada too, there's a good chance I can get a transfer in Canada too but it will take 5-6 months untill the Covid situation eases down.

My only concern is that,
1. If I do a soft landing I would have to return without my PR card, I have relatives/friends to receive the card, but still a risk me being not there to receive it.
2. PRTD: Is there any difficulties/complications in getting PRTD if I dont have PR card on time for next travel.

Do you guys think doing a soft landing now would be a wise decision considering the situation mentioned above or I should move once and for all even though economy is down in Canada. I am single applicant.

Appreciate your response.
God Bless.
1. It's not a risk at all.

2. No, you wouldn't have problems getting a PRTD if you can't get someone to mail your card to you.

Whether to move or not is entirely your personal decision.

khaza_139

Oct 10, 2019
1. It's not a risk at all.

2. No, you wouldn't have problems getting a PRTD if you can't get someone to mail your card to you.

Whether to move or not is entirely your personal decision.
Hi
Many thanks for you reply. Appreciate the response.
I've read somewhere (in whatsapp groups :) ) that if ur PR card is caught in someone else's hand it would void your PR status is it true. Also they say PRTD is at the discretion of Officer, this part actually made me worried.
Again, thanks for your reply.

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
@khaza_139 How on earth would someone get caught with your PR card? It's a card...they'll keep it in their wallets. PR cards shouldn't be mailed out of the country. Unless CBSA is jobless enough to check wallets of every single passenger, or if your friend is screaming and waving your card around in the terminal, there's going to be no trouble.

khaza_139

Oct 10, 2019
@khaza_139 How on earth would someone get caught with your PR card? It's a card...they'll keep it in their wallets. PR cards shouldn't be mailed out of the country. Unless CBSA is jobless enough to check wallets of every single passenger, or if your friend is screaming and waving your card around in the terminal, there's going to be no trouble.
Got it, thanks !! :) :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi
Many thanks for you reply. Appreciate the response.
I've read somewhere (in whatsapp groups :) ) that if ur PR card is caught in someone else's hand it would void your PR status is it true. Also they say PRTD is at the discretion of Officer, this part actually made me worried.
Again, thanks for your reply.
The amount of wrong information in those whatsapp groups is why mods ban all posts with them. No, someone else having your PR card doesn't void your PR status; that is just....so beyond stupid for someone to say. I suggest you stay off such groups.

PRTDs when a person has been out of Canada for 3+ years and doesn't meet the Residency Obligation are at an officer's discretion. When a person meets the RO, there is no discretion.

khaza_139

Oct 10, 2019
The amount of wrong information in those whatsapp groups is why mods ban all posts with them. No, someone else having your PR card doesn't void your PR status; that is just....so beyond stupid for someone to say. I suggest you stay off such groups.

PRTDs when a person has been out of Canada for 3+ years and doesn't meet the Residency Obligation are at an officer's discretion. When a person meets the RO, there is no discretion.
Thanks, got it. Appreciate the response.

Huda_suddiqui

Star Member
Dec 31, 2018
Hi,
I have the same question. We did soft landing on 17 March as our copr was expiring in May. We stayed for a day and came back to uk. In August we received our PR cards but it is still in Canada. I don’t want someone to courier it as it is such an important document. Can we apply for Prtd and if yes what would we put for RO. We were in Canada only for a day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.