+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft-landing from US during COVID-19

vampire88

Apr 15, 2020
Hi everyone,

I was approved COPR in mid-February and we planned to do landing in Canada on March 20. Unfortunately, around March 16 the border was closed and we didn’t find it safe to travel and land in Canada. Also, I live in California and was planning to do a soft landing i.e. drive to border/fly to the airport – and return to the US the same day.

California is expected to extend its stay at home order till at least May-15th. My COPR expires on May 29th and I was hoping this forum could help with the following questions.

• Is IRCC extending the COPR due to worldwide travel uncertainties?
  • We are expected to self-isolate 14 days in Canada. Has someone done the soft-landing successfully and returned back to the US?

Reactions: Siddhi1234

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Canada has changed its quarantine rules as of yesterday. If you do not have an approved self-isolation plan, you will be quarantined by the government in a hotel and not permitted to leave. A soft landing of less than 14 days is most likely not advisable.

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
Canada has changed its quarantine rules as of yesterday. If you do not have an approved self-isolation plan, you will be quarantined by the government in a hotel and not permitted to leave. A soft landing of less than 14 days is most likely not advisable.
I can't see what the problem is with a soft landing especially if your returning immediately - defies logic.

Shln

Apr 30, 2020
Hi everyone,

I was approved COPR in mid-February and we planned to do landing in Canada on March 20. Unfortunately, around March 16 the border was closed and we didn’t find it safe to travel and land in Canada. Also, I live in California and was planning to do a soft landing i.e. drive to border/fly to the airport – and return to the US the same day.

California is expected to extend its stay at home order till at least May-15th. My COPR expires on May 29th and I was hoping this forum could help with the following questions.

• Is IRCC extending the COPR due to worldwide travel uncertainties?
  • We are expected to self-isolate 14 days in Canada. Has someone done the soft-landing successfully and returned back to the US?
Hi. I have a similar situation. My COPR is expiring in the last week of May. I am currently working in US and planning a soft landing, but will need to return in a couple of days. Is the 14-day quarantine manadatory for all? I mean, are all travellers required to stay a minimum of 2 weeks? Please let me know if you receive any clarity. Thank you.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi. I have a similar situation. My COPR is expiring in the last week of May. I am currently working in US and planning a soft landing, but will need to return in a couple of days. Is the 14-day quarantine manadatory for all? I mean, are all travellers required to stay a minimum of 2 weeks? Please let me know if you receive any clarity. Thank you.
Yes, it's mandatory. It's the law .Just read thru this postings . A soft landing is not considered essential, as well you're coming from the country that has the most confirmed cases on Earth, as well as the most deaths
Canada is attempting to stop the upward spiral in the cases here. People coming and leaving immediately doesn't help that

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Someone did it, a lady and her husband. But that was a while back, before the new regulations if i recall correctly.

But it was tough, the border agent initially said they could not land, and then finally they said they would allow it, and signed their COPR, when she said the only reason they were entering Canada was to soft land, do their 14 day quarantine, and return to the U.S, the border agent just said why don't you just return to the U.S and they did.

But then she had issues getting back into the U.S, and luckily her husand is a U.S citizen and they allowed them to return.

I'd say just fly in, do your 14 day quarantine, and come back. The land border will be tougher.