+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing Experience - April 2019

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
When we apply for the SIN upon landing, what address should we provide in case we don't have a permanent address yet? We'll be doing a soft landing, and staying in an airbnb. For our PR cards, we'll be giving our friend's address..
I don't think the address provided for sin matters. They would likely copy it from your copr (which is annotated at point of entry based on your verbal answer for pr card delivery). What address are you planning to provide for that? Same will be noted in sin. Check this
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/before-applying.html

UnitedBaller

Jan 15, 2019
I am landing at 11:30 pm in Toronto. As it's close to midnight, will I go through the PR card process then or will I have to go back next day to process the PR card?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
I am landing at 11:30 pm in Toronto. As it's close to midnight, will I go through the PR card process then or will I have to go back next day to process the PR card?
Immigration happens round the clock, why do you think it will not happen if you turn up near midnight?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Immigration happens round the clock, why do you think it will not happen if you turn up near midnight?
To avoid double negative, your immigration and pr card request initiation is fine by immigration officer and will happen regardless of which day/what time you land.
There is a service Canada center at some every locations however that may not be open on all days/times and you will have to apply for sin by visiting one of many other service centers later in case you find that office closed during landing

Smriti Sethi

Jun 28, 2018
Thank you so much for the information. Very well explained!!

I have one question, the follow goods which we declare should be bought in one go in our next visit or we can bring them anytime. Just clarifying so that we don’t have to pay any tax.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Thank you so much for the information. Very well explained!!

I have one question, the follow goods which we declare should be bought in one go in our next visit or we can bring them anytime. Just clarifying so that we don’t have to pay any tax.
You can bring them anytime. As you bring them, those items are struck off from the list until nothing remains

saani

Jul 29, 2017
Hi ,,, need help,,
We are doing soft landing in November. I have few questions if any 1 can help;
1- should we have to bring all the documents with us ,which we submitted to IRCC?
2- is it good idea to open an account during soft landing? as we want to transfer our money to Canada.(any cons of opening account during soft landing)
3- in things to follow we have to give brief description of everything?like gold jewelry?
Regards

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi ,,, need help,,
1- should we have to bring all the documents with us ,which we submitted to IRCC?
2- is it good idea to open an account during soft landing? as we want to transfer our money to Canada.(any cons of opening account during soft landing)
3- in things to follow we have to give brief description of everything?like gold jewelry?
Regards
1. No, check this link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry.html
2. Yes, only concern is creating ties to Canada which can have tax implications if you don't plan to move in for good soon
3. Yes, this has been answered countless times on these forums, can you please check other replies/threads for more details

hardikpatel123

Star Member
May 3, 2018
Hi Friends, Had question for those doing soft landing from US. I have my US visa stamp expired on passport but there is a rule that as long as the documents are correct (i797) then US border guards let you in if you only went to canada .

Has anyone with an expired US visa stamp went for a soft landing and came back ?

gauri48

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Ottawa
My soft landing experience

hello guys - today I’ll be sharing with you my soft landing experience (AOR March 2019, PPR email 02 October)

As I am still working in India and have a well settled job here, I was not sure about quitting my job so soon and moving to Canada. Hence I decided to do soft landing and subsequently move to Canada around April-May 2020 (obviously in better weather conditions).

I booked an Air Canada ticket which was a direct flight from Mum-Toronto and return.At the Mumbai airport’ immigration, I was asked the purpose of my visit to Canada to which I said that I’ve received a PR and am going for my formalities. The officer then asked me to produce my PR card but I told him that as I am going there for the first time I do not have a PR card and instead showed him the COPR documents. He verified the docs post which he stamped my passport and I was good to go.

I landed in Toronto at 7 in the morning after a tiring journey of 16 hours! In the flight itself I was given an immigration form in which I had to fill my details like name, passport no. , purpose of visit etc.

After getting off the flight I headed towards the immigration along with other travellers. However when I told an officer there that I am landing for my PR, I was sent to another queue.

Here a lady officer checked my immigration form (which I had already filled in the flight) and the COPR document and asked if I was carrying any cash and milk products. I told the officer the amount of cash I had on me and that I’m carrying butter and milk powder as well. The officer made some notes on the immigration form regarding the cash and milk products I’m carrying.

From here I was sent to another immigration officer (sweet young man). This officer asked for my immigration form, passport and COPR (two copies). Here I was asked the following three questions:
1. If you’ve been convicted of any crime in any country?
2. Ever refused admission to enter or leave Canada?
3. Do you have any dependents which are not listed in your application?

I answered NO to all the above questions. The officer then retained one copy of my COPR and on the other COPR copy he asked me to sign at two places. Then he stamped the COPR copy saying that I became a permanent resident of Canada on XYZ date.
After this the officer asked me how much money in cash I have with me to which I told him I have XX amount of cash. He then asked me where I was staying and if there is any particular address where I would like the PR card to be delivered. I told the officer that I’ll be staying at my friends place and would like the PR card to be mailed there. He didn’t ask me any further questions and handed over the immigration form, passport and COPR copy to me and told me that the COPR copy “is a very important document” and I should keep it safe with me even after I become a citizen.

I was then directed towards a counter where SIN for new comers were generated. At this counter the officer asked me to fill a form meanwhile he checked my immigration form, COPR copy, passport and boarding pass. I handed over the filled form to him and within 2 mins he generated my SIN and handed over the SIN document to me.

I was then asked to proceed towards the customs section. Here the officer again asked for my immigration form, passport and COPR. He read the remark made on the immigration form that I was carrying mill products. He then asked me to open my bags and checked the food items I was carrying. He took butter and milk powder from my bag and threw it in the dustbin. . Then I was asked if there were any goods I am carrying to which I told the officer that my goods will come at a later date. The officer asked me to fill a “Goods to Follow” form where I was asked to detail any and everything that I intend to bring into Canada at a later date. I listed products worth approximately $2,500. The customer officer then directed me to a “cashier counter” where I was given document (which looked more like a receipt implying that I can bring in goods with $2,500 and no custom duty would’ve levied on it). After this I again headed to the customer officer and he handed me my passport, COPR copy and a copy of the Goods to Follow list.

This was the last step at the airport and I was told I can exit the airport and need to visit Service Ontario to apply for my health card.

Hope you found this write up informative and I’ll be happy to answer your questions.

#SoftLanding #CanadaPR #ExpressEntry

Reactions: milin4ever

gauri48

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hi ,,, need help,,
Regards
1. Just carry your passport, COPR. I was not asked for anything else.
2. Yes I opened my bank account with CIBC. They have good products for new immigrants.
3. List any and everything u intend to carry in Goods to Follow

gauri48

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Ottawa

hello guys - today I’ll be sharing with you my soft landing experience (AOR March 2019, PPR email 02 October)

As I am still working in India and have a well settled job here, I was not sure about quitting my job so soon and moving to Canada. Hence I decided to do soft landing and subsequently move to Canada around April-May 2020 (obviously in better weather conditions).

I booked an Air Canada ticket which was a direct flight from Mum-Toronto and return.At the Mumbai airport’ immigration, I was asked the purpose of my visit to Canada to which I said that I’ve received a PR and am going for my formalities. The officer then asked me to produce my PR card but I told him that as I am going there for the first time I do not have a PR card and instead showed him the COPR documents. He verified the docs post which he stamped my passport and I was good to go.

I landed in Toronto at 7 in the morning after a tiring journey of 16 hours! In the flight itself I was given an immigration form in which I had to fill my details like name, passport no. , purpose of visit etc.

After getting off the flight I headed towards the immigration along with other travellers. However when I told an officer there that I am landing for my PR, I was sent to another queue.

Here a lady officer checked my immigration form (which I had already filled in the flight) and the COPR document and asked if I was carrying any cash and milk products. I told the officer the amount of cash I had on me and that I’m carrying butter and milk powder as well. The officer made some notes on the immigration form regarding the cash and milk products I’m carrying.

From here I was sent to another immigration officer (sweet young man). This officer asked for my immigration form, passport and COPR (two copies). Here I was asked the following three questions:

I answered NO to all the above questions. The officer then retained one copy of my COPR and on the other COPR copy he asked me to sign at two places. Then he stamped the COPR copy saying that I became a permanent resident of Canada on XYZ date.
After this the officer asked me how much money in cash I have with me to which I told him I have XX amount of cash. He then asked me where I was staying and if there is any particular address where I would like the PR card to be delivered. I told the officer that I’ll be staying at my friends place and would like the PR card to be mailed there. He didn’t ask me any further questions and handed over the immigration form, passport and COPR copy to me and told me that the COPR copy “is a very important document” and I should keep it safe with me even after I become a citizen.

I was then directed towards a counter where SIN for new comers were generated. At this counter the officer asked me to fill a form meanwhile he checked my immigration form, COPR copy, passport and boarding pass. I handed over the filled form to him and within 2 mins he generated my SIN and handed over the SIN document to me.

I was then asked to proceed towards the customs section. Here the officer again asked for my immigration form, passport and COPR. He read the remark made on the immigration form that I was carrying mill products. He then asked me to open my bags and checked the food items I was carrying. He took butter and milk powder from my bag and threw it in the dustbin. . Then I was asked if there were any goods I am carrying to which I told the officer that my goods will come at a later date. The officer asked me to fill a “Goods to Follow” form where I was asked to detail any and everything that I intend to bring into Canada at a later date. I listed products worth approximately $2,500. The customer officer then directed me to a “cashier counter” where I was given document (which looked more like a receipt implying that I can bring in goods with $2,500 and no custom duty would’ve levied on it). After this I again headed to the customer officer and he handed me my passport, COPR copy and a copy of the Goods to Follow list.

This was the last step at the airport and I was told I can exit the airport and need to visit Service Ontario to apply for my health card.

Hope you found this write up informative and I’ll be happy to answer your questions.

Reactions: milin4ever

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Since you intend for soft landing, do not appy for your health card! Wait until you live here next year.

Reactions: gauri48

milin4ever

Star Member
Aug 28, 2018

Thanks for sharing this..

I will be doing soft landing in 1st week of December. This is very helpful info.