+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing-Canada PR

rj20

Feb 26, 2020
Hi All,

I am an Indian citizen. I have IM-1 visa which expires on 3 of May. It is a single entry visa.

I am traveling to Canada via Munich on the 25th of April and returning on the 2nd of May to India. During both legs of the journey, I will be transiting via Munich- Terminal 2 for a couple of hours.

I have a valid single entry visa- IM-1 visa of Canada which expires on the 3rd of May. I don't have a residence permit of Canada as yet as that takes 30 days to be issued. But I have Confirmation of PR letter.

Do I need a airport transit? I am sure I don't require a visa for the first leg, unsure if I need a visa for the return journey?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If you mean for the airport in Munich, my experience there is that you can remain in the international zone and hence do not require a visa of any kind to Germany. But the answer is to check with your airline.

Again, if I understood your question.

rj20

Feb 26, 2020
Hi,
Thanks for the reponse. Airline told me to check with the consulate. Consulate is impossible to get in touch with. What I am unsure about is that I have a single entry visa only- IM-1. While i get the PR confirmation, i return quickly to India without PR card. My IM-1 visa would be valid in terms of date only during my return leg. Was wondering if I still need an airport transit visa?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,
Thanks for the reponse. Airline told me to check with the consulate. Consulate is impossible to get in touch with. What I am unsure about is that I have a single entry visa only- IM-1. While i get the PR confirmation, i return quickly to India without PR card. My IM-1 visa would be valid in terms of date only during my return leg. Was wondering if I still need an airport transit visa?
Acc to this site you do need an airport transit visa on the way back at least:
https://www.germany-visa.org/airport-transit-visa/

But I do not see anythign here about copr etc. Sorry couldn't help more.

Mosay

Jun 9, 2022
Hi,
How was your experience? Where you able to travel through germany without transit visa? Please help

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
How was your experience? Where you able to travel through germany without transit visa? Please help
Check with your airline. Because it will be useless to you to have somebody on a forum say you don't need a special visa if your airline disagrees.

That said: the same website referenced above says that indian passport holders with a valid visa to Canada do not need transit visas. Since a COPR holder from India will also have a visa inserted in the passport, that would seem to answer the question.

Mosay

Jun 9, 2022
Check with your airline. Because it will be useless to you to have somebody on a forum say you don't need a special visa if your airline disagrees.

That said: the same website referenced above says that indian passport holders with a valid visa to Canada do not need transit visas. Since a COPR holder from India will also have a visa inserted in the passport, that would seem to answer the question.
Thank you for the reply.
Air Canada said it's fine for both onwards and return journey and Lufthansa said I need to reach out German embassy/mission for answer.
While there website is contradicting it self. My confusion is with there statement where they mention used visa holders can also fly through Germany while other statement says used visa holder from certain countries will need a transit visa.

As I am having single entry visa that will stand used once I land in canada. So I dont know what to do.